multiple books on player out of chapter order Using Overdrive for windows mp3

10-4-15 I just purchased a Sandisk Clip Sport from Amazon. It said it worked for Audible MP3. I am using a windows 7 pro PC. I have the latest firmware installed from Sandisk. I only use it for Audio books from the Metropolitan Library to listen to MP3 audio books. I have used the M240 MP3 player for years and still own a few. They were easy to transfer my audio books without issues. They were discontinued years ago and hard to find so I have no choice but to use a different player. I have listened to over 300 audio books so I know how to transfer them. My M240 used folders for books and kept them under Author/title. I could have many titled books from the same author without issues. The Clip Sport doesn’t do this and might be the reason why I’m not able to hold more than one book at a time.

Here’s the issue with my Sandisk Clip Sport

I transferred one audiobook as instructed. My Metropolitan Library uses Overdrive for Windows. Once I download the MP3 audio book to Overdrive on my computer I hook up my MP3 player via USB. I go to Windows Explorer and select the Audible Folder and I transfer Book 1 with 8 chapters to the MP3 player. I do the above again with my Book 2. The Book 2 chapters all look in order on PC but play in wrong order from MP3. I double checked to make sure Shuffle Is Not selected.

Since my M240 auto created folders I tried creating a folder for the title only- I create the folder for Book 1 with title keeping it under the amount of characters allowed and repeat process for book 2. I drag & drop each books chapters to the correct folder. In Windows Explorer all looks perfect but on MP3 player again book 2 chapter 6 is listed first instead of chapter 1.

Below are the User Manual directions to see transferred files on the player. These directions don’t work and Audible Folder is Empty.

To play audiobooks, follow these steps:

1. Select Books from the Main Menu.
  2. Select Audiobooks, then select Audible. Audiobooks are listed in A-Z order.
  3. Select desired audiobook.
  4. Select desired Chapters. After Chapter is selected, audiobook will play and audiobook name/chapter will be displayed. THIS DOESN’T WORK

Here’s how I find my Books:

1.Press the >> Right/Forward button until I come to FOLDER icon

2.Tap Red Power /Select button, now you are in FOLDERS,

3.Scroll DOWN and tap Select for Internal Memory.

4.Now I am under ROOT- scroll down to Audible and tap Red Power/Select button

5.Next tap on folder book name and tap/Select first chapter in the list. It should be chapter 1 and it is 6.

I should be able to have multiple books on my mp3 player. I want to have many books on this MP3 if it isn’t possible please let me know.

I will be returning the MP3 player if there isn’t a fix in the next two days since I don’t want to be stuck with a player I can’t use. This is very disappointing.

You need to edit the ID3 tags of the audio files. This is how the newer players, (most all, not just SanDisk) sort & display track information. There are many, many threads on this subject here and you will find MP3Tag (free tag editing software) recommended highly and often.

If all MP3 players on the market have to use editing software why doesn’t Sandisk provide it with their products so their won’t be all these issues? I shouldn’t have to read for hours to find a fix for a supported format. On the Clip Sport box it lists all the supported formats and it should also say a software program not provided must be installed for the formats listed  to work. They aren’t really supported if they need an outside software program to make it work…

Is there not a mp3 by sandisk that I don’t have to edit tags? Will the Clip Plus work the way my M240 did? I never had to do that with my m240’s. They transferred perfectly every time to my player and each book was in its own folder making it easy to delete each book when I’m finished. What if I did a drag & drop with the TCNANDO software program from my M240  and copied it onto my Clip Sport? would TCNANDO work on the Clip Sport?

I went into my second book on my clip sport just now and removed the long title from each chapter and renamed each chapter 001, 002, and so on and that seemed to work. So correct me if I’m wrong, the renumbering is for sorting only within each book and the player actually knows one book from the other even when all books are in the same folder without using separate title folders for each book, correct?  So this tag editing program will allow for every book to be in the same folder, is that correct?  I’m not sure I could figure out how to use the tag editing software. Will that program also help me selct and delete the bokks I want to remove when finished?

I’m sorry to be a pain, can you answer these questions please?

1- I read on here where people were having issues with the last part of a chapter being left off of long chapters. Is that fixed?

2- Someone else posted that if there were more than X many chapters the last chapters won’t play. Will I be limited to how many chapters a book can have or is that fixed? At the Metropolitan Library I have to select download before I know how many chapters a book has.

I have only had this player a few days and want to return it if there are still issues playing audio books… I only use it for audio books from the Metropolitan Library that I download for free. I don’t buy my books from Amazon.

I appreciate your time and patience.

If all MP3 players on the market have to use editing software why doesn’t Sandisk provide it with their products so their won’t be all these issues? I shouldn’t have to read for hours to find a fix for a supported format. On the Clip Sport box it lists all the supported formats and it should also say a software program not provided must be installed for the formats listed  to work. They aren’t really supported if they need an outside software program to make it work…

Is there not a mp3 by sandisk that I don’t have to edit tags? Will the Clip Plus work the way my M240 did? I never had to do that with my m240’s. They transferred perfectly every time to my player and each book was in its own folder making it easy to delete each book when I’m finished. What if I did a drag & drop with the TCNANDO software program from my M240  and copied it onto my Clip Sport? would TCNANDO work on the Clip Sport?

sandisk does not dictate how content providers tag (or lack there of) their content. This is not up to the MP3 player manufacturer. this is a sole decision made by the content provider. 

All MP3 player will sort one of 2 ways.

1. By ID3 tag. This requires all the info be present in the ID3 tag. If not all will show under an unknown artist because the data simply is not ther to sort by

2. By file name. This only sorts by file name. this type of sorting cannot be sorted by Artist, auther, track, etc. 

If you want to brows the folder content simply use the Folder option in the main menu. This will bypass the ID3 tag sorting and show you the file table of on the Sport. 

1- I read on here where people were having issues with the last part of a chapter being left off of long chapters. Is that fixed?

this occurs with Audible.com books in the Audible Enhanced Audio file format. Sandisk recomends using Format 4 for Audible content

2- Someone else posted that if there were more than X many chapters the last chapters won’t play. Will I be limited to how many chapters a book can have or is that fixed? At the Metropolitan Library I have to select download before I know how many chapters a book has.

I am not aware of any limitation with the number of chapters for MP3 file format audibooks. 

Thank you for your reply. I will print your info off for ref. I don’t understand one thing you said about folders. When I added my first book it never did show when going the usual route which should be select Books-Audio Books- then Audibles? The only way I can see my books is to go to folders- and so on. Why won’t the books show in the usual manner? Will the editing software make the books be where they are suppose to be?

Thanks for your time.

@okiebirdnerd wrote:

Why won’t the books show in the usual manner?

Because something in the ID3 tags is amiss. In other words, the player cannot read them, or the information contained in them is incorrect. Some providers of downloadable audio files do not first make sure the ID3 tags are correct, which is why you have to check and/or edit them.

@okiebirdnerd wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I will print your info off for ref. I don’t understand one thing you said about folders.

In the main menu of the sport there is an option called Folder. If you select this option then Internal memory you will see the folder on the sport just like you see them on your computer. This may be an easier way of navigating for you as it should look like you see it on your computer. 

Today I tested using Overdrive (from my local public library) to download an audio book of several chapters onto my computer harddrive (MacMini).  Then I copied these audiobook mp3 files into a new subfolder I made in the Audiobooks folder in my Clip Sport mp3 player (using my inserted micro SD card).  After a little experimentation, I soon discovered that these mp3 files would be properly recognized when I used Mp3Tag (v271) to edit the ID3 tags of these mp3 files:

1) Type the Book Title into the Album entry field (was blank for this audiobook)

2) Type the chapter number (2-digits) and a hyphen as the first characters in the Title entry field; 

3) For extra sorting confidence, I also typed in the chapter number into the Track number entry field.

I kept the original source files unmodified on my computer harddrive, so the Overdrive software could properly delete them (?) at the borrowing expiration date.  (Apparently this feature is not  implemented for Mac users.)

1 Like

Can you do a screen capture to show your process? I’m a visual learner. Thanks for your time. I haven’t downloaded the MP#tag program yet.

3 easy to read and follow steps. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.