Lock/unlock player

Clip+.

Rarely needed the lock option on the older Clips but with this new one, definetly.

Never used it on any of the ones that had it…lol.

No inadvertant keypress issue with the Clip or Clip+; had some with the Clip Zip and so would use the lock function occasionally.  

Unbelievable!  I was putting up with a bunch of Clip Sport firmware bugs, hoping they’d be fixed, but this is the last straw.  The one thing people still use music players for is music during exercise.  The idea that locking the buttons isn’t needed is just nuts. 

I guess they thought we needed a “Clip Sport” music player for while we’re watching sports, as opposed to playing them.  Makes some sense, like when the TV is muted and has an FM transmitter hooked up to it, but really!

This is a hardware defect, because they’ve repurposed the button’s other functions.  You can’t touch the Lock button to light up the display, or vice versa.  There’s no button they can assign to the locking function.

Back to the store it goes!

@once_burned wrote:

Unbelievable!  I was putting up with a bunch of Clip Sport firmware bugs, hoping they’d be fixed, but this is the last straw.

Patience grasshopper. It’s on its way. :wink:

It’s there! Press the Back Button for a couple of seconds (after the display is on) and it will lock/unlock. My new one had it… And I think it was firmware 1.17 that had it.

I ride a bike using the AudibleRush Jam Lite Essential speakers. GREAT for music while you ride. It’s a BAD idea (and illegal here) to ride a bike with headphones. Well… Everytime I hit a big bump, the SanDisk would skip a song, or most frequently stop playing. So for me (like quite a few here), having a lock/unlock button is critical!

3 Likes

Thank you for your post because I was ready to package mine back up and take it back.
I listen to a lot of audio books while I work and it is so irritating loosing your spot.

1 Like

Hi–I saw your post when I was looking for a solution to the same problem. It was driving me crazy, jumping around back and forth–sometiimes just when I was carrying it in my hand.  But I did some more searching on the internet and found that I can press and hold the “back” button (the big one with the curvy arrow) and it will lock, and I can just do the same to unlock it.  Apparently SanDisk upgraded the software to add a lock feature.  (I’m thinking there was a hue and cry.)  If that doesn’t work, you can download the software upgrade, and they say it will work. 

@seedseditor wrote:

(I’m thinking there was a hue and cry.) 

You have it absolutely right.

I have an older model I really like except it’s so small I can’t find often…wife was using iPod & iPhone for audiobooks - problem was everytime we’d try to transfer downloads from the library it was an ordeal.   So, I buy her a clip-sport, but the “lock” button was not obvious- just about took it back and then got on this forums page - glad I searched the lastest msgs cause early on it was all bitchn about no lock feature…it shoud be in the directions…

I finally figured out how to lock and unlock the clip jam in case anyone is still looking for it.

Press and hold the little back arrow button. It might be called the home button. I’ve been looking for how to do this ever since I got the player. It would be nice if they could add those few litle words in the packaging instrcutions!

I’m so annoyed that this isn’t documented anywhere.  After two previous Clips, I bought the Sport.  Nowhere in the documentation does it say that it can be locked. I accidentally figured out how to do it.  Hold the BACK arrow down (the arrow at the top left of the controls), and it will lock!  I gave this unit a 1 star on Amazon because of the lack of a LOCK feature.  It seems I wasn’t the only one who was annoyed about not having one.  I would have thought that SanDisk would have chimed in to let us know.  Unlock, of course, by holding the same back arrow button down.  Sheesh. 

Official Announcement was made with introduction of FirmWare Version 1.17 in August 2014, after the one and only User Manual was published. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Firmware-1-17-released/td-p/324940

Enhancements in FW 1.17

• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
  • Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags. Songs will now play in album order by ID3 tag track number if available.

Maybe check out this link for a summary of all changes made in FirmWare updates since the ClipSport was introduced.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Firmware-1-29-released/td-p/352083

Official Announcement was made with introduction of FirmWare Version 1.17 in August 2014, after the one and only User Manual was published in Feb 2014.

• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
  • Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags. Songs will now play in album order by ID3 tag track number if available.

Maybe check out this link for a summary of all changes made in FirmWare updates since the ClipSport was introduced.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Firmware-1-29-released/td-p/35208…

Is there a way to request that a lock feature be added?

Never mind, I saw the answer after I asked the question. it would be helpful if the answer to the question appeared at the top of the heap.

Thanks again to KarlZ, who unlocked the mystery of the “hold” button.  I also use the player almost exclusively for audiobooks.  All my previous SanDisk players (and I had quite a few of them) had a “hold” function.  This one did not even have it in the manual.  I, too, was ready to return mine to amazon.

It’s odd that a user and not a SanDisk rep was the one to give the solution to the missing function, after quite a few complaints from users.  

And just in case someone from SanDisk happens to glance at the board, as an audiobook listener I would like the rewind button to take me to the end of the previous chapter (song).  There was one version of the OS that had that function, and then it was scrubbed…

So thanks again, KarlZ.

To be clear, the “Back” button is not the rewind button. The Back button is the one to the top right of other buttons.

Sorry, meant top left, not top right.