SanDisk User

Re: The 1.28 firmwhare with the 4,000 file limit

That is exactly what I did as dragged it manually into the root of the sport. Unplug and it updates but doesn't update the firmware or in this case downgrade it.

As a newbie, can I ask if the installation of 1.28 brings back other problems such as no lock ability and album tracks only playing alphabetically which were addressed in subsequent updates?

SanDisk Fanatic

If your Clip Sport already has a Firmware newer than 1.28, you may not be able to install; according to user clipfan7.

I have not tested this problem myself.  All my Clip Sports are running FW 1.28 and I do not plan to update.

FW 1.28 includes the ability to lock the player by pressing the "Back" button for about 3 secs. Unlock is the same.

Album Tracks can be played two ways: Music Mode and Folder Mode.

Describe what you are trying to do and we will explain how to accomplish your needs.

That is useful information thanks.  I was merely wondering why 1.28 was not liked by some people and taken off by Sandisk. Both my Sports have the latest firmware so from what you say, it would not be possible anyway. The 2000 song limit does not bother me that much anyhow.  I am keen to learn all about the devices so I appreciate your feedback.

SanDisk Guru

The beta firmware came at the expense of certain database limitations, such as, if I recall correctly, a more severe limitation on the number of characters the database recognized and the elimination of the Genre category.  Unfortunately, the player's microprocessor is lesser robust.   Smiley Sad

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: The 1.28 firmware with the 4,000 file limit

[ Edited ]

I recognize this message subject and series of replies started in Jan 2016. The last reply was posted here in Nov. 2016.

Today I purchased a Clip Sport (4gb, yellow) from the manager markdown rack in a local big box store.  Now this store is only selling as new the 8gb Clip Sport and 16gb Clip Sport Plus.

The markdown 4gb Clip Sport came with Firmware 1.29.  Since I am still obsessed with Firmware 1.28. I am pleased to report the device readily accepted and successfully installed the upgrade.hex file for Firmware 1.28.