Syncing Playlists with Windows Media Player

If it helps anyone else, i was able to create playlists in m3u format *without* moving all the files in the playlist to a single directory containing the m3u file…  The trick is picking a target directory for the m3u file on your PC whose relative path to the “Music” folder matches the relative path from the “Playlists” folder to the “Music” folder on the Clip Sport itself.  In my case, I use the “Desktop” folder since wmp then uses “…/Music/<artist>/<song>” as the relative path from the playlist to the music.

1. start wmp
  2. find existing playlist
  3. click play tab
  4. click ”Clear list” if needed
  5. drag playlist to play tab work area to expand all the songs in the work area
  6. right-click playlist –> rename
  7. copy playlist name to clipboard (so you don’t have to retype the playlist name in the save as dialog)
  8. escape (to cancel rename)
  9. click top List options “Save list as” to make a copy of playlist in m3u format on the desktop
  10. select Desktop
  11. select m3u file format
  12. paste playlist name from clipboard as playlist file name
  13. ok
  14. you now have a copy of the playlist in m3u format on your desktop, with appropriate paths of the form “…\music\artist\song”
  15. copy this m3u file to E:\Playlist folder (where your sandisk clip sport is mounted)
  16. delete m3u file from desktop
  17. wmp will eventually figure out there is only one playlist in the original location (temporarily, it will have two playlists, only one of which will work, since you deleted the m3u list from the desktop already)