Snap, Crackle, Pop... playing off SDHC

I have periodic crackle and other noises when playing back tracks ( WMA VBR ) from a 32GB SDHC card - I do not know the class of card, it is not marked. 

This card is known good, and previously lived in my Sansa Clip+ prior to its death a week back and I had none of these issues. 

Playback of same tracks, copied from the slot to the Clip’s internal storage seems OK.  

On reading the forums,  Its seems as if there are some problems with some cards, or card speed.  

Before I try a seminifinite number of cards which don’t work, does SanDisk provide guidance as to which ones do?  

– Bob

The cards that are probably most likely to be the most compatible with the player are Sandisk class 4 cards. 

I suggest buying them in a retail package from a trustworthy dealer.

Were you using Rockbox on your Clip+? Rockbox seems to be much more flexible as far as file formats and tag formats than the Sandisk firmware is. Unfortunately there is no Rockbox for the Clip Sport. Rockbox is also said to handle class 10 cards just fine. I haven’t tried class 10 cards myself though. All my cards are class 4.

The Clip Sport firmware still seems to have some bugs. I suggest using mp3 files, as the most effort is put into the mp3 decoder, and Sandisk players tend to get much longer run time when playing mp3 files.

Do the noises only occur near the start or at the end of the file? Perhaps the player might be thinking the tag data is music and trying to play it?

The Clip+ was running stock firmware.  

Yeah, converting everyhing to MP3 ain’t going to happen.   I’d rather crawl throguh, and then eat, broken glass.

Even IF I get a 32GB card that works, the 2000 song limit is a huge backwards step from the Clip+.  The partially filled card already has 2900 tracks on it.

“There are simply too many notes, that’s all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.” is not the answer I would thibnk most customers would be satisfied with.

Its as if the product management folks singlehandedly took on a challenge to defy Moore’s Law.

– Bob

I didn’t say to convert the WMA files to mp3, as there will be too much quality loss.  If you have the CDs though, I suggest reripping them as mp3 files.

“Even IF I get a 32GB card that works, the 2000 song limit is a huge backwards step from the Clip+.  The partially filled card already has 2900 tracks on it.”

Why not return the Clip Sport and buy a Clip+? They are easy to get at Amazon or B&H.