Sandisk Clip Sport audiobook problem

I have just purchased a Sandisk Clip Sport.

When I am listening to my audiobooks, each part is out of order. Like the book I am on now started with part 6 then part 4, and so on. it is acting like shuffling, but my Books are in audiobook and it doesn't have shuffle. When I look it up with my computer it is in the correct order. I find this irritating.

Any ideas, please?

SanDisk Guru

Re: Sandisk Clip Sport audiobook problem

Are these mp3 files? Do they have track number tags? If they are mp3 files are the tags in the ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1 format the player needs? Track number tags also need leading zero(s) to play in the correct order, ie. 01, 02,...09, 10, 11, etc.

Yes they are mp3 files and yes they have tracking number tags. The rest I don't know. I down load the book from my library using OverDrive. I tryed to change the tags with zero in front no luck

SanDisk Guru

Have you tried removing the track number from the ID3 tag? that seems to work for most users. 

How do you do that?

SanDisk Guru

MP3Tag -- freeware ID3 tag editor supreme.

You are telling me that the Clip Sport doesn't work as well as older versions of the Clip. This my eighth Clip believe it my 4 Gen they only last 8 months to a year and I have never had this problem and now you are telling me that I have to download another program and do more work to get a audiobook on my clip sport. Well this may not mean much to you but this is my last Sandisk Product I Will Ever Buy. The main resign I bought the Clips is because they worked with the library audiobook program.

SanDisk User

It's even worse than that. I bought the Sport because of the longer battery life and larger screen (the Plus and Zip are so small that either only the current positon in the boook is listed and not the total time or they drop the seconds). I've gone through 3 Fuzes, other than each lasting no more than a year, they were great. After that, it's been a Clip+ and 3 Clip Zips. The Zips have all gone bad in under 1 year. The + is the only solid workhorse in the bunch in terms of longevity.

At least with Audible audiobooks on the Sport, there is a noticeable lag time in play beginning after pressing (5 - 10 seconds initially). The lag increases progressively further into the audiobook so that by 18-20 hours in, the lag is about 45 seconds. I'm told this is a hardware issue and cannot be remedied by a firmware fix.

I prefer a standalone mp3 player for audiobooks as I mostly use it at the gym and using it doens't drain my phone battery. It's sad that Sandisk can't make an inexpensive, functional device, that while a niche market would certainly have customers. A 2-4 Gb Sport size player that had a battery life of 25 hours would be an ideal device for audiobooks.

SanDisk Guru

jolynn wrote:

You are telling me that the Clip Sport doesn't work as well as older versions of the Clip. This my eighth Clip believe it my 4 Gen they only last 8 months to a year and I have never had this problem and now you are telling me that I have to download another program and do more work to get a audiobook on my clip sport. Well this may not mean much to you but this is my last Sandisk Product I Will Ever Buy. The main resign I bought the Clips is because they worked with the library audiobook program.

The Clip+ and Clip Zip can still be found and I typically recommend them, including to replace an earlier Clip+ or Zip, absent there being an absolute need for 1 of the features in the Clip Sport (longer battery life; larger screen).  As has been openly discussed here before, the Sport and Jam are not "the latest and greatest" in the Clip line, as a consumer might have expected--they are a "left turn' in the line.

SanDisk Guru

I have the Clip Zip, Clip+, and Clip Sport. I also had the original Clip and the Fuze, but gave those away. My Clip+ and Clip Zip have Rockbox on them. Rockbox is an alternative firmware for the player. It give many choices of what is displayed on the screen and how it is displayed, and many settings to customize the player. Unfortunately Rockbox doesn't support Audible. Rockbox isn't available for the Clip Sport or Clip Jam.

What are you doing to your players? I have never broken a Sandisk player, except for the clip on one of my Clip+ players. I have been using Sandisk players for 7 years. The Clip+ I bought in Sept 2009 is the one I broke the clip on. Other than that though, it still works fine.