SanDisk REMOVING files in SD card and "File format not supported" !

First the specs:

• SanDisk CLip Sport 8GB
  • SanDisk Firmware version: 1.36
  • Brand new microSDHC: Kingston Class 10, 32Gbytes

Just bought it and found two major problems, one being very severe:

First one: I lost files moved to the microSDHC after inserted in the SanDisk (after the scanning).The files were not recoverable by any uneraser I tried even when tried excessive search:

• iCare Data Recovery Pro 7.9.0.0
  • EaseUS Data Recovery
  • GetDataBack for FAT 4.33

The strange thing was I organized files in several folders under a Music/ folder in the SD card:

Music/

Beethovhen/

Mozart/

Brahms/

Every file except the ones inside Beethovhen/ were completely removed. Weird.

I am really sad because I lost very valuable recording from Conferences, although of course part of my fault for not doing regular backups.

After that problem, I found I should put all my files in the SD card under a single folder (Music/) and they are kept normally.

Second problem is I cannot play songs in microSDHC. I read the whole thread “File format not supported” : http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/quot-File-format-not-supported-quot-randomly-appears/td-p/319808

But my problem is not random, I always receive “file format not supported” on every file I try to play. I tried several formats: MP3, WAV, FLAC from sizes 1Mb to 25Mb with several encoders through the fre:ac Free Audio Converter software:

LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.5

VBR

CBR

Bit-rates tried: 128kbps, 192 Kbps, 320 Kbps

Enabled CRC

FLAC Audio Encoder 1.3.1

Default preset

The same files play nice if I place them on the internal SanDisk storage.

Now I don’t know what to do.

A guy in the previous thread said you’re supposed to use a class 4 SDHC. Is this confirmed by dev team?

Should I try to reformat the card?

Any other suggestion?

Maybe you had all your music folders and files copied to your micro SD card before you inserted the card into your player for the first time?  In my experience, the Sansa players create several folders and files in the root directory of the card the first time the card is used in the player.   I am guessing it is best not to have music folders and files previously copied onto the card before the this first time use in the player. 

“File Format Not Supported” is the warning I receive when I try to use Folder Mode to access non-audio files in my player directories (including m3u files). Maybe also check the “extender” names of your music files?  Missing extenders or 4-character extenders may not be recognized by the player. 

Best Wishes

“Maybe you had all your music folders and files copied to your micro SD card before you inserted the card into your player for the first time?”

Yes, that was one case. But anyway any scanning shouldn’t remove anything.

Besides after my files were deleted I copied them again because I couldn’t believe they were actually removed by the SanDisk.

The same happened, files are removed first time and always.

Cheers

When you attempt to copy your music files to your micro so card:

1.  Is the card in the player or are you using a micro so card reader ?

2.  What software do you use to copy your files and folders to your card ?

3.  Do you ever see the files and folders in the proper destination using Win File Explorer ?

4.  Do you use the PC “Eject” command to stop the PC - player communication before disconnecting the player ?

5.  When & how do you observe your music files are missing?

The Clip Sport cannot find them by Music Mode and Folder Mode ?

Your PC cannot find them during a follow-up search with Win File Explorer ?

1.  I think the Clip Sport can access high capacity micro SD cards formatted as FAT32. 

How is your micro sd card formatted ?

Feel bad for both of your issues, also it was good that you understand the importance of timely backups. I don’t know why the above mentioned software isn’t able to retrieve your data, but you may also try Stellar Window Data Recovery Software, it may solve your problem. Good Luck!!!

1.  Is the card in the player or are you using a micro so card reader ?

I copied the files using my the SD reader from my laptop (Sony Vaio).

1.  What software do you use to copy your files and folders to your card ?

Win 8.1 SL + Total Commander 8.51

1.  Do you ever see the files and folders in the proper destination using Win File Explorer ?

Yes, checked before inserting the card into SanDisk.

1.  Do you use the PC “Eject” command to stop the PC - player communication before disconnecting the player ?

Mmm I didn’t connected the player in this case, but previously (before buying the SD card) I could ejected without “safe eject” the player. That could be an issue with a SD card?

1.  When & how do you observe your music files are missing?

The Clip Sport cannot find them by Music Mode and Folder Mode ?

Your PC cannot find them during a follow-up search with Win File Explorer ?

Both cases. Inmediately after the SanDisk media scan finished the files were not there anymore.

1.  I think the Clip Sport can access high capacity micro SD cards formatted as FAT32. 

How is your micro sd card formatted ?

FAT32

Let me know if I can check anything else.

Thank you for your patience. I can think of one more experiment for you to try. 

Try inserting the micro SD card into your Clip Sport and connect the player to your PC via the micro USB cable that came with the player.  Then use the Tools section of Win File Explorer  (under Properties) and check / fix any directory  & file errors in your micro SD card.  (???)

Then try copying one folder with audio files from your PC into the Music folder on the card. Then use the PC “Eject” command and wait for the “Safe to remove hardware” notification.

Then wait for the Clip Sport to “process” the added files into the music database.

Then disconnect the USB cable from your PC.   

Then reconnect the USB cable to your PC.

Then use Win File Explorer to see if the test folder of audio files is still in place on your card (with no missing files).

Then use “Eject” again, wait for the player to process the music database again. 

Then use Music mode and / or Folder mode to access your new addition of music files.

Then go “Yay !!” while enjoying your Clip Sport !!!

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Now files are transfered without problems.

However the “File format not supported!” still persists.

Anyone with a 32 Gbytes class 10 SD Card can confirm it is working?

I recently started using a 32 gb, Class 10 micro SD card in my Clip Sport (FW 1.28).

Samsung 32 EVO plus. Read Speed = up to 80 mb/s.  Write Speed = up to 20 mb/s.

Everything seems normal so far.  I am using mp3 audio files encoded at 192 and 256 kbit/s (CBR).

I did not use this new card for any file copying until after I allowed my Clip Sport to have first access to the new card.

Maybe (??) if no other Forum members provide better advice here, you could consider using the Clip Sport “Format” command on your micro SD card?  This will give you a fresh start and simuate a new memory card experience?

Best WIshes

Amazing, formatting the card from the SanDisk solved the “File format not supported” problem so far.

Thank you for your help!!!

@dfeld2005 wrote:

Maybe (??) if no other Forum members provide better advice here, you could consider using the Clip Sport “Format” command on your micro SD card?  This will give you a fresh start and simuate a new memory card experience?

Best WIshes

Great suggestion!   :slight_smile:   And especially as it worked!  

I found the “File format not supported” again.

This happened with files copied in a second pass after the format and copy. So AFAIK only one massive copy of files from PC to SD will be “supported” to play in the SanDisk.

I am sorry that this situation is beyond my experiences.

We need to wait for sage advice from Miikerman.

Yep, we certainly do.  Now, if only some could be found . . . .    :wink:

When all else fails:  you might try manually reapplyíng the latest firmware to the player–that can fix gremlins and software glitches that can develop.  Easy to do (and it won’t affect your user content on the player)–see the firmware sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum.

Otherwise, you also could try re-formatting the player (not just the microSD card) itself, under the player’s System settings–that sometimes can fix unknown issues.  Note that this will erase any user content–save any content you want to keep to your PC first.

A final possibility:  you might try reformatting the microSD card using the SD Association’s own fomatting tool–that sometimes can fix issues, and there may be something hinky with your card.  The Clips can be finnicky about cards.  Again, save anything you want to keep first.

https://members.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I’m just guessing as to possibilities–sorry!