SanDisk Introduces the SanDisk® Clip Sport MP3 Player

Unlike the Clip Zip, the Clip Sport does not allow any song rating.

2000 song limit on a MicroSD Card.

Limited to 50 playlists on a MicroSD Card.

Sansa CLip Sport == COMPLETE FAIL

Amazing that SanDisk didn’t bother to publicize these ridiculous limitations.

@chibbs wrote:

Amazing that SanDisk didn’t bother to publicize these ridiculous limitations.

Amazing that you didn’t read any number of online reviews or even SanDisk’s own description of the Clip Sport when it was released several months ago, or you would have discovered it is a limited-featured model.

So far you have post 9 comments since you registered less than 24 hours ago, bashing this model and SanDisk in every one. I could be wrong, but I believe that is called “trolling”. I understand your frustration, but you have to accept some responsibility for not researching this product before purchasing it to see if it would fit your needs and/or wants. If you had, you would have saved yourself a lot of grief.

Return it and buy another player, whether it be a Clip+ or Zip or even another manufacturer’s and move on. There is no further need for you to

Life is too short, and your repetitive comments do nothing to help or support the community here.

Wrong, they serve two puposes.

1. They put SanDisk on notice that they should publicize all significant limitations in a product as part of its spec list.

2. It warns other possible customers who would not otherwise be aware of the limitation.

If you don’t like my posts, feel free to ignore them.

I intend to embarrass SanDisk until they release a firmware update to correct these deliberate and insulting product limitations.

@chibbs wrote:

1. They put SanDisk on notice that they should publicize all significant limitations in a product as part of its spec list.

I doubt anyone from sandisk is reading this.  You’re basically just complaining to other users. 

Possibly,

I’ve said my piece.

They’ve lost me as a customer.

What they do is irrelavant at this point.

@chibbs wrote:

1. It warns other possible customers who would not otherwise be aware of the limitation.

If you don’t like my posts, feel free to ignore them.

I intend to embarrass SanDisk until they release a firmware update to correct these deliberate and insulting product limitations.

As much as we all might like matters to be different, many before you have noted similarly (albeit, typically, less bashingly), and SanDisk already is aware of its player’s limitations.  Unfortunately, at least part of the issue lies in the player’s hardware, and a firmware upgrade can’t change that (regardless of continuing bashing), unless the laws of physics can be changed . . . .

Me, rather than spending my time banging my head against a wall, I’d just return the player, purchase a Clip+ or Clip Zip, and enjoy some good music.  But that’s just me.

I’m disappointed. I expected a version of the Clip Zip with a longer battery life and a larger screen. I was hoping for Rockbox to become available for it soon. Instead it uses a different processor than the Clip Zip, and it seems likely there will never be Rockbox available for it. I just bought one Clip Sport player though, so no great tragedy. 

I have a few Clip Zip players though, and will mostly be using those. For longer battery life I could carry two of those. The same goes for having a player with two or more card slots. Instead I could carry two or more Clip Zips to have two or more card slots available. 

I like the Clip Zip very much with Rockbox installed. I didn’t like using it with the firmware it came with though.

I hope the next player from Sandisk will be the same size as the Clip Sport, but have the same processor and other circuitry as the Clip Zip, except for having a display the size of the one in the Clip Sport, and having 25+ hours of battery life. 

Is the Clip Zip discountinued? It seems to be hard to find now, while the Clip+ is easy to find now. I don’t mind using the Clip+, and prefer using a Rockboxed Clip+ to using the Clip Sport, although if I could get a Rockboxed Clip Sport that would probably be my favorite player.

What seems to frustate people the most is that the Clip Zip has been disappearing from stores since the Clip Sport was introduced. Many expected the Clip Sport to be a Clip Zip with a larger screen and longer battery life, which it obviously it isn’t. At the very least Sandisk should have planned to have the Clip Zip be still availble if the Clip Sport was to have so many limitations when compared to the Clip Zip. Many manufacturers have a chart on their product page contrasting the difference of their different models, with many also contrasting it with older discontinued models. Typically though the newer model has more features and functionality, to tempt users to upgrade to the newer model even if the older model they have still works fine. Even with the larger screen and longer battery life though, I consider the Clip Sport to be a downgrade from the Clip Zip. At least they could have released another model as well at the same time the Clip sport was released, that is a true upgrade from the Clip Zip in every way.

In defense of the Clip Sport though, I like the screen size and form factor very much. I just wish it had the same processor as the Clip Zip, but a higher capacity battery, so it could get to 25+ hours of battery life, and have the same functionality as the Clip Zip. That way Rockbox would be available for it soon. Oh well. I hope Sandisk does this for their next player. It would also save them plenty on development costs, since just a slight modification of the Clip Zip firmware would be needed(to accomodate the larger screen and higher capacity battery).

Agreed. But I wish they maintain the Sport’s audio circuit – the sound quality (and the power) from its headphone out is downright excellent in view of the cheap design.

well…good post

http://www.soran.edu.iq

Hi guys i have a question about mynew clip sport. Everytime i turn it on it keeps asking the language and region. Is this normal? any chance i can save those info and not be asked again?

Thanks

it does that each time content is loaded. mine has done it since the first version of the FW. 

Well, now, that’s just a silly occurrence.

THE SAN DISK SPORTS CLIP DOES NOT FORMAT AUDIOBOOKS!  You can not listen to audio books on this device if you are transferring data from a PC!  Actually, you can listen to them if you do not mind hearing the chapters out of order or if you have dedicated your life to your MP3 player and the reconfiguration of your source material you can eventually get the books in order. This being the case foget sports you won’t have time! Don’t be embarrased I purchased the 8 gb thinking of all the books I would be listening to. In realityr I am now the owner of an over priced stop watch.  Remember this when you go to purchase other electronic devices. I know it won’t come from San Disk or affiliates. 

Well, I’ve had this gizmo for a few months now, and I LOVE it.  It is exactly what I wanted:  A small, light, no-frills MP3 player I can bring to the gym, and leave my expensive smartphone locked safely away.

I find the fidelity quite good, the bass rich and smooth and the treble clear, as long as the recorded material is reasonably good.  I’m using it with a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-CKP500 in-ear sport phones, and if the recorded material is of good quality the sound is astonishingly good.  And, unless the music is not properly normalized to 0dB, the volume goes louder than I need.

Because I don’t try to store my entire music collection on the thing, I’ve had no complaints about the capacity.  I’ve got 67 CDs worth of music on there at the moment, enough not to get bored and have to swap music before every trip to the gym.  That accounts for 6GB of the 8GB, and a skosh over 700 tracks.  Why the HECK do I need more than that?! 

I looked at units costing twice what this one cost me before I made my purchase.  For what I want the thing for, I doubt I’d be more satisfied with any of those than I am with this guy.

So, people looking here for ideas about whether to buy this unit, here’s my advice: 

If you need a full-featured MP3 player that can wash your clothes and store every track on the internet, this ain’t it.  Spend the money and buy what you need.

If you’re looking for a small, lightweight MP3 player that sounds good, packs a punch, and won’t send you into a crying jag if you smash it with a dumbbell or drown it running in a hurricaine, this is a very good choice.

2 Likes

I bought two players recently that were not made by Sandisk, although when the Clip Sport went on sale recently, I also bought an extra Clip Sport. I had gone for over a year without buying any players, so spending under $200 for three players(two of which were on sale) wasn’t so bad. I spend almost that much for my first flash memory based player 10 years ago, and it had only 1GB of storage. The other two players I bought don’t have FM radio.

The Clip sport even with its shortcomings is still so much better than the more expensive ipod Shuffle. The Shuffle lacks a card slot, a display, and FM radio which the Clip Sport has. 

Have people here had success using class 10 cards in their Clip Sport? With the Sandisk firmware the Clip+ and Clip Zip have issues with cards faster than class 4. I am wondering if the Clip Sport works okay with class 10 cards. 

@jk98 wrote:

With the Sandisk firmware the Clip+ and Clip Zip have issues with cards faster than class 4.

Some people have had this issue, some not (I haven’t, for one). 

If you can’t add an album to the playlist then that is a deal-breaker for me.