Playlists, file order - problems aplenty

I recently bought a Sansa Sport to replace my old Clip. I chose sport for the large battery. I wish I had scouted this forum before I made that decision. Obviously it’s not the model to choose.

My main problem so far is the file order…

1. I read here at the forum that editing the title tag and adding a number first in the line would help. It didn’t. I use Mp3tag and let it use the filename for the title dag. I download radio shows and name then after the airing date, with the date in a sortable format, like this for example.

20170101_Pelle Holmberg

2. So, the other thing I read should work is to create a playlist. So I did that. It didn’t work. At all. I created playlists with MP3tag, VLC, manually… No go. I place them in the same folder as the audio files. When I select a m3u the player lets me know “File format not supported”. Neither do they show up in the Playlists folder as I thought they would.

I miss my Sansa Clip very much… ::cry:

I posted about problem 2 in the thread about playlist problems below this one and then thought it was best to create my own thread about both problems. Didn’t mean to double post. Sorry.:flushed:

I am guessing you are playing your podcasts using Folder Mode. Try using Books Mode.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand a word of that (new owner, remember?). What’s that and how to I change mode?

It’s just mp3 files. They aren’t connected to each other in any way, like when one’s finished the next begins. I created a new folder for non music files. Inside that folder I have other folders named after the shows and in one of them I have the mp3 and m3u files. Is this a problem?

Here is a link to the SanDisk User Manual for the Clip Sport.

http://downloads.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clipsport-um.pdf

Take a look at Chapter 2, page 5 (pdf page 10)… This page shows the 6 core functions of the player, including Books Mode.

Maybe try a quick read through the manual and then come back to this user forum with any questions.

Here is a link to the SanDisk User Manual for the Clip Sport.

http://downloads.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clipsport-um.pdf

Take a look at Chapter 2, page 5 and Chapter 6, pages 21-23. These pages show the Books Mode of the player

Maybe try a quick read through the manual and then come back to this user forum with any questions.

So that’s what you call modes. OK, if I try clicking the Books icon, my mp3 files show but the m3u does not and the file order is still screwed up.

But I found it. I need to click the Music icon and then Playlists. Then it works. Thanks, you put me on the right track anyhow.

I don’t understand though. I had skimmed the manual before posting. Nowhere did I find I need to use Music to access Playlists, but amittedly I didn’t read every word.

Does anyone manage to live with this player? I don’t want to edit the tags for every file and use playlists. I don’t listen again and again to the same files. I load a bunch on the player, listen to them and delete them and upload a new bunch. I don’t want to edit a playlist every time I delete a few files or upload some new ones. And I like to sort them in folders and sub folders as I’ve always done. With playlists I get all of them in one long list. Is there really no other way?

Seems like you are starting to better understand the features of this player (and the various limitations…)

Maybe you will enjoy using FOLDER Mode to get you started.  However, this mode has a variety of restrictions.

No “Resume” feature.

No file selections using ID3 tag data.

No Playlists access

Filename display is limited to the first 16 characters (may not reveal the file you want to hear).

Folder Mode does not provide any internal sorting of files.

The file order displayed is a direct result of the chronological order you load the folders and files from your PC.

Maybe check out this webpage for a detailed explanation of “FAT” sorting problems in Folder Mode.   

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/FAT-Sorter.shtml

My personal decision to enjoy my Clip Sport was to learn all the amazing features of mp3tag software to edit ID3 tags. Then I use Music mode and Books mode.  I only make a few playlists to group together tracks from a CD box set, etc.

The directories of my sandisk clip sport:

/mnt/sdf
/mnt/sdf/Music
/mnt/sdf/Music/beet6
/mnt/sdf/Playlists
/mnt/sdf/Podcasts
/mnt/sdf/Audiobooks
/mnt/sdf/Audible

The file beet6.m3u is in the directory /mnt/sdf/Music/beet6.

You must edit this file with an editor, wich save the file in
DOS format, not in UNIX format.

It contains:

\Music\beet6\6_1._allegro_ma_n.ogg
\Music\beet6\6_2._andante_molt.ogg
\Music\beet6\6_3_5.ogg

The directory /mnt/sdf/Music/beet6 contains:

\Music\beet6\6_3_5.ogg
\Music\beet6\beet6.m3u

The directory of /mnt/sdf/Playlists is empty.

greetings J.

The directories of my sandisk clip sport:

/mnt/sdf
/mnt/sdf/Music
/mnt/sdf/Music/beet6
/mnt/sdf/Playlists
/mnt/sdf/Podcasts
/mnt/sdf/Audiobooks
/mnt/sdf/Audible

The file beet6.m3u is in the directory /mnt/sdf/Music/beet6.

You must edit this file with an editor, wich save the file in
DOS format, not in UNIX format.

It contains:

\Music\beet6\6_3_5.ogg

The directory /mnt/sdf/Music/beet6 contains:

\Music\beet6\6_3_5.ogg
\Music\beet6\beet6.m3u

The directory of /mnt/sdf/Playlists is empty.

greetings J.