Playlists either empty or missing

I have a new clip sport 4gb. I have a 64gb sansa micro sd card.

I follow the advice given by various sites/you tube and used VLC to create m3u files.

In some it advises to put the playlists in the same directory as the mp3’s.

It would appear that the playlists folder is intended.

Others said put them in the root folder on the internal memory.

The closest I have got to making it work is to see the playlists which are denoted empty (although when looked at in file manager they are now).

The mp3’s are in folders. I have tried iether putting them at the top level on the external drive, or inside the Music folder.

So far the only thing close to working is using folders, and thenopening a file and using shuffle in the play screen. But this is very slow and clunky.

Also, there apear to be three ‘golists’ I have no idea what these do or how to use them.

I’ve tried all combinations (both creating the playlists on and off the unit and in m3u and m3u8 format). One thread in these forums talks about ‘end of lines’ but this is beyond me.

This is really problematic as you no longer support genre which I could manage by making playlists in the meta data, but this is no longer an option.

Any help much appreciated. Very frustrating.

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.          

First, I use Win File Explorer to create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music. Then I copy my selected mp3 files from my PC into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as “abc123.m3u” and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.          

First, I use Win File Explorer to create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music. Then I copy my selected mp3 files from my PC into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

(Cannot combine internal memory and micro SD card sources in the same playlist.)

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as “abc123.m3u” and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   
   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

Hi,

Thanks - I am trying your route, and will feed back. It does seem very sensitive though…

cheers,

N

Hi,

I deleted everything on the machine. I then copied it to the microsd card while in the clipsport (which took nearly a day).

Having done that I created the playlists using the files in situ.

I tried putting them in the music folder, in a folder in the music folder, each in the folder with the music, in the playlists folder (after all what is the point of this if not to be used).

Nothing works.

Given the removal genres (why would they do this?) I really do regret buying this as it really gives me nothing but a capacity I cannot really use.

Finally - having a screen with pretty album covers - why? for a sport mp3 player surely with is pointless. Much better to have an e-reader type display, low power use and better readability.

Your in frustration.

Nick

Finally,

It is only on deleting the playlists that the ‘refresh media’ actually completes. Otherise it gets stuch at about 90%.

N

Really sorry to learn that you are having so much trouble with your new Clip Sport.

Likely this device will not meet your desired plans for enjoyment of your large library of music files.

You are attempting to use a majority of the 64 gb file space on your micro SD card?

CARD Mode has a database limit of 2,000 files for the SD card (and the same limit for the internal player memory).

->Maybe this limit is corrupting your attempt to create playlists across yout 64 gb storage space?

You could try using FOLDER Mode to access all your files. But then you will notice many other deficiencies of the player OS.

->Including no logical sorting of subfolders and files in each folder.  AND no recognition of Playlists.

Personally, I am using 16 gb micro SD cards in my 3 Clip Sports and I am a very satisfied user.

->Maybe let us know what new player you chose that can properly host a 64 gb micro SD card?

Really sorry to learn that you are having so much trouble with your new Clip Sport.

CARD Mode has a database limit of 2,000 files for the SD card (and the same limit for the internal player memory).

Likely this device will not meet your desired plans for enjoyment of your large library of music files within one player.    

->Maybe this database limit is corrupting your attempt to create playlists across your 64 gb storage space ?

Personally, I am using 16 gb micro SD cards in my Clip Sport and I am a very satisfied user.

->Maybe let us know what new player you chose that can properly host a 64 gb micro SD card ?

Hi,

I have the clip sport 4gb.

I was under the impression that it supports 64GB Micro SD cards, and indeed it does. I can review and play the library on the unit.

What is baffling is that I cannot create a playlist given the the library is there and accessible.

My aim in getting this player was to be able to shuffle in genres across a large number of tracks.

Furthermore the removal of genres seems utterly inexplicable  - unless you know why it has been done.

By chance I tried a 32BG card in my old (nearly 3 years!) clip 8+8 and it works fine - with genres. So at least I have a second best.

Still I would have thought that if the unit supports the library it should support the playlist for that capacity.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Nick

You loaded up your 64 gb micro SD card with music files and deleted all non-working playlist files?

And after ejecting the player it was able to compile a functioning Music database?

->How many music files are on the SD card at this status?

->Are you able to access all the music files on your card using CARD mode?

->Are you able to access all the music files on your card using FOLDER mode?

Maybe start easy and use VLC to make a few simple playlists from just a few folders on your SD card ?

->The player will only exceute a playlist with files residing in the SD card, OR internal memory (but not in both).

Do you have any spare 8 gb or 16 gb micro SD cards to test on your Clip Sport ?