Order of the folders

Hi,

I have got a problem with the Sansa Clip Sport.

Let’s assume I’ve got three folders with different artists. The folders (and artists) are called “Aa”, “Ab” and “Ac”.

First I copy the folder “Ac” to my mp3-player. On the next day I copy “Ab” and then “Aa” (because I bought some new music) to my mp3-player. My computer shows the folders in alphabetical order. But the mp3-player (folder-mode) shows it in the order I copied the folders:

“Ac”

“Ab”

“Aa”.

It makes no difference if I use internal or external memory.

This is quite inconvenient, because I am using a 32 GB memory card with lots of artists. If I want to listen to a specific artist, an alphabetical order whould be an easy way to find it.

Does someone know a solution for this problem ?

Regards

Knuspa

From what I have seen working with the Sport is the only way to see all the files in alphabetical order, in folder view, is to copy all the files at the same time. It seems this is due to the way the Sport read the FAT (file allocation table). When files are added to the Sport the computer builds the FAT. When you add more files in a different session the FAT is not rebuilt, it is actually amended. The Sport seems to see the amendment and add the files to the end of the list. If you want to see the files in alphabetical order you will need to copy them all at the same time. This seems to be a design limitation of the sport.  

What is needed here is the track and album order to work properly, and ‘Folders’ view to have some basic level of intelligence (including playlist or auto-next).

Have they made any commitment to fix this? Or to properly support Vorbis Ogg?

Track order works properly for MP3 and M4A with the latest FW. IIRC OGG and FLAC still ignore the track number ID3 tag. 

What drlucky first wrote is exactly what I mean. 

The problem is that I can use the Sport with the folder mode only, because otherwhise it is limited to 2000 songs.

@knuspa wrote:

The problem is that I can use the Sport with the folder mode only, because otherwhise it is limited to 2000 songs.

I believe it’s limited to 2000 songs reagardless of display mode.

folder view ignores the database limits and looks at the FAT.

I believe that various users have posted the folder view’s “ignoring” of the database’s numerical limits, thereby allowing the users to make full use of the capacity of megacards (under folder view–but still not under the database).

@drlucky wrote:

folder view ignores the database limits and looks at the FAT.

Good to know.

Hey guys, has anybody figured it out?

Is there perhaps a software that updates the last modified files to alphabetical orders in the folder?

1 Like

No.

1 Like

@xjvktr wrote:

Hey guys, has anybody figured it out?

Is there perhaps a software that updates the last modified files to alphabetical orders in the folder?

Did you read drlucky’s 1st reponse in this thread?

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Order-of-the-folders/m-p/327818/highlight/true#M732

Yes, I did. It does make sense, and probably works, but am I supposed to transfer all my files everytime I want to transfer a single album I bought?

Buying Clip Sport has been a huge mistake. It caused me nothing but headaches (and for 99% of other users too), and I can’t refund it because I bought it far from where I live (during a travel).

But one good thing comes with this: a lesson. Sandisk? Never again.

1 Like

another issue with folders is, if you have ripped muliple disk cds (disc 1, disc 2) etc. the folders show seperately in windows explorer but they are merged together when viewing them on the device.

The workaround for this seems to be changing the album name under the properties/details tab

This can be solved using an external program.  The Sport does not update the FAT table after the first time - which is why people say they have to copy the entire library  everytime they add a folder - you don’t have to do this.

I use FatSort on OS X - works perfectly (Have done this a 100 times.) - once you get it working it takes less than a minute. Every time you add songs or folders run Fat sort and the FAT table will be updated and everything will be in alphabetical order.  

Programs like FATSORTER do the same thing on the PC

read this thread - it has info about the Mac and the PC:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/GUIDE-How-to-organize-your-2000-song-library/m-p/329899/highlight/true#M908 

@xjvktr wrote:

Yes, I did. It does make sense, and probably works, but am I supposed to transfer all my files everytime I want to transfer a single album I bought?

Buying Clip Sport has been a huge mistake. It caused me nothing but headaches (and for 99% of other users too), and I can’t refund it because I bought it far from where I live (during a travel).

But one good thing comes with this: a lesson. Sandisk? Never again.

I hear you on that. All future MP3 player purchases will not be Sandisk.

The only problem is that Sandisk is one of the best audio quality players with microSD support.

Non-Apple players don’t get tons of shelf space and such. And finding one that supports microSD is rare. For instance, I would love a Sony Walkman player, but no microSD support. I have like 30GB of music, and 50GB of video game soundtracks…so I need removable media support…and I’m poor, so I’m not spending $300 on a 64GB player or whatever.

Most of the ones I find here in BFE Iowa are cheap knockoffs or rebranded Coby players…which all ■■■■.

When it comes down to it, if we want a decent sound player (and Sandisks do sound good at least), with microSD support, for a decent price, we’re stuck with Sandisk and their lousy interface and rules.

Actually, the new Sony A17 indeed has microSD support–but probably not for you, at $300 for a 64GB player and the separate  microSD slot (which can accept a separate up to 128GB microSD card, merging the 2 memories together).  But, getting good reviews.  And other players with microSD support:  the FiiO X1 (around only $100 but with no memory–a bring-your-own-memory player; although, nicely, with 2 card slots) and the Cowon M2.  Available online.

Personally, I don’t find the Clip interface inadequte at all (staying away from the Clip Sport), although I always have wished that SanDisk had paid more attention to the firmware.