Feature's Q&A

Just picked up my new clip sport. Sounds great and everything seems to work! My Creative MuVo TX lasted for years and it was great because it used a single AAA battery that lasted weeks…Sad to see this is not a feature on the newer players…

So I would like to know 2 things:

• Does the sport clip have a method of cycling through radio presets? Or must I always return to the menu options? My MuVo would cycle through my added presets…
    • While connecting to PC for transfers, the clip always starts a charge cycle. I don’t want to start a charge cycle, I just want to transfer files. My only idea is to make a custom cable with only the data pins. Would that work? Comments?

Thanks for any tips!

kid

1. Yes. Short press the Power/Select button to cycle through radio presets.

2. No. You can’t transfer files without power. The other way around is however possible. Charge without initialize a data connection with a charge-only cable. A possible workaround would be to use a microSD card and an external card reader to transfer files.

Or, as to the charge issue, just ignore it:  unless I’m ignoring something, itdoesn’t affect anything or have a downside. 

Thank you.

Pressing the power button does cycle through the readio. However, it will cycle through any tunable station. I just want to cycle through my “favourites” or “presets”. This could be corrected through firmware release.

As for the second issue of having to charge when you simply want to edit or download to library: I notice that once you plug in the clip, there is a message screen. Possible it could contain a selection option of “Charge Now” or " File transfer". This feature could aslo be handled through a firmware release.

kid

I guess I don’t see or understand a downside if the player charges during the few minutes that you’re transferring files.  To the contrary, I would think that it’s beneficial.

@kidknicky wrote:

Pressing the power button does cycle through the readio. However, it will cycle through any tunable station. I just want to cycle through my “favourites” or “presets”. This could be corrected through firmware release.

I haven’t been able to replicate that behavior on any of my Clip Sports (firmware versions 1.29 and 1.36). Search is a function of the Left/Previous/Rewind and Right/Next/Forward buttons, not the center one. Have you added some presets? If so, a short press on the center button should only cycle between the stored presets and show the preset number in the top left corner. The frequency will also have an asterisk to indicate that it is saved as a preset.

1 Like

Downsides:

• any battery has a limited number of charge cycles. To maximize battery life, these cycles should be initiated at the proper time and not interupted. The Sport clip contains a chargeable and non replaceable battery.
    • While connected tp P.C., I notice the clip display changing between charging and transferring while I am indeed transferring. Is the charge cycle being interupted?

Oh well, it doesn’t matter now. Obviously the sport clip cannot handle transfers and charges simultaniously. Mine is frozen on the charge screen. This is only the second time I have attempted transfers and is also only the third time I have charged the device.

Off to support to see how to unfreeze it…It’s been probably 8 hours now…

@kidknicky wrote:

Off to support to see how to unfreeze it…It’s been probably 8 hours now…

Resetting it should unfreeze it.

LOL…I guess if I could reset it, it wouldn’t be really frozen!

The battery finally drained (almost 24 hrs L8R).

I plugged it in the the wall charger and it appears it will not charge…It just says “Low Battery”

Still waiting to hear from support, but it doesn’t look like this unit is operational.

Try connecting to a wall (A/C) charger (1.0 amp)

THEN

1. Press and hold the Power/Center Select  button for approximately 20-30 seconds.
  2. Release the Power/Center Select   button.
  3. Press the Power/Center Select  button again to turn on the player.

THEN

Wait 3 hours (?) to allow the player battery to recharge.

1 Like

:wink:

I believe that did it! It appears that the unit charged and I can see my transfers on the internal memory…Thanks!

Lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries work better if you top off the charge, and don’t run the battery down close to empty before recharging it. When they speak about a limited number of charges a lithium based battery can take, they mean the number of equivalent full charges, and not how many times it was plugged in to charge. Topping off the battery’s charge rather than running down the battery before charging it should give the equivalent of more full charge cycles.

One thing to keep in mind is that while charging with a pc the display stays on, and it takes longer to tharge than with a cell phone charger. Some who have always charged their player using a pc have reported that the display eventually wore wore out. I think this may be more likely with the Clip+ and Clip Jam than with the Clip sport, however it is still a good idea to charge the player most of the time using a cell phone charger. 

1 Like

@jk98 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that while charging with a pc the display stays on, and it takes longer to tharge than with a cell phone charger. Some who have always charged their player using a pc have reported that the display eventually wore wore out. I think this may be more likely with the Clip+ and Clip Jam than with the Clip sport, however it is still a good idea to charge the player most of the time using a cell phone charger. 

As always, the devil is in the details:  it all depends on the amperage of the external charger and of the PC port being used.  Specifically, some PCs come with a specific charging port that puts out more power than a typical USB port (500 mA).  Conversely, many external USB chargers put out no more power than a standard PC USB port (but perhaps, typically, external phone chargers do)–I have many external chargers with an output of only 500 mA, the USB port “standard.” 

1 Like

@miikerman wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

As always, the devil is in the details:  it all depends on the amperage of the external charger and of the PC port being used.  Specifically, some PCs come with a specific charging port that puts out more power than a typical USB port (500 mA).  Conversely, many external USB chargers put out no more power than a standard PC USB port (but perhaps, typically, external phone chargers do)–I have many external chargers with an output of only 500 mA, the USB port “standard.” 

I have never seen a pc with a specific charging port, although usb 3 ports do put out greater maximum power than usb 2 ones. The player would still be making a data connection via a usb 3 port, unless a power only cable is used.

JK98 wrote: I have never seen a pc with a specific charging port, although usb 3 ports do put out greater maximum power than usb 2 ones. The player would still be making a data connection via a usb 3 port, unless a power only cable is used.

Yep, they’re out there.