Deleting from Clip Sport with iMac

I recently wound up at BEST BUYS Geek Squad desk because I thought I was deleting music from my Clip Sport on my iMac, but it wasn’t deleting.  The Squad hooked my MP3 up to a PC and found a file called F:.trashes !!  and low and behold, there were all the albums I thought I had deleted still on the MP3!  They just checked them off and they were gone.  Sadly, I cannot find “.trashes” anywhere on my iMac when I get the Clip Sport home.  Any ideas?  Yes, I see where I can delete songs individually, but what a pain.  All I wanted to do was update my music selections.  HELP from Apple users please.  Sorrry if I posted in the wrong spot.  I couldn’t find where to start a new post.  New to the site.

I occasionally use my Mac Mini (OSX v10) to manage the music on my Clip Sport.  It is possible to delete individual files and subfolders using Finder.   Before I use the “Eject” command, I always delete all the files in the “Trash” (bottom right icon in the Dock).  If I do not empty the Trash, the files are marked for deletion but not actually deleted from the FAT directory.

Another problem using OSX to manage my Clip Sport is the creation of “._”  (dot underscore) files for every folder and mp3 file I copy to my Clip Sport and to my micro SD card. (These files  are not readily visible using a Mac, but obvious using a PC.)

See this link for more information about “._” files.

https://www.cnet.com/news/invisible-files-with-prefix-are-created-on-some-shared-volumes-and-external-disks/

See this link for the software I use on my Mac Mini to delete the “._” files after each file management session.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52076/him

I actually found the .trashes file by plugging into my husband’s PC.  So, worst case senario, I use his computer to manage my MP3 Clip Sport!  I don’t remember if I “emptied the trash” before or after I ejected the MP3, but the files were not there.  I’ll pay better attention next time I try.  Thanks for the links.

@jaodancer wrote:

I thought I was deleting music from my Clip Sport on my iMac, but it wasn’t deleting.  The Squad hooked my MP3 up to a PC and found a file called F:.trashes !!  and low and behold, there were all the albums I thought I had deleted still on the MP3!  

When using a Mac & deleting files from the player, you must empty you Trash before disconnecting the player. Otherwise, only the references the Mac uses to find the files will be deleted, not the actual files themselves.

Hope this helps!