Deinstitutionalized player w/ lost track numbers

OK yes this is a big help.  But first let me say that after I copied all of the files off of my mp3 player to the usb drive then opened it with the tag editor the songs were not in the right order.  So I used the tag editor to sort the songs by artist, album, and song number.  After doing this the songs were in the correct order.  One of the song errors was that the album had more than one disk and the song in incorrect order didn’t have an album number so the songs off of it were by song number and those were duplicates of another disk, (so I had two #9 songs and #10 songs etc.)  which was why the song order was bad.  I gave each song that didn’t have an album number an album number so the songs were then in the right order. 

Basically I guess my main question is how do I save these changes? 

Plus that is a great idea to backup my mp3 player to a separate directory  so if something were to go wrong I could go back to the original files. 

When I open the files on the usb drive they are not in the correct order but I use the tag editor to sort by artist and album and track number then they are in the right order so I’m guessing that this is when I need to save my work.  But I have never edited anything other than using the program to sort the files. 

Thanks again and yes this is a good holiday and would be even better if I had my songs in order.

Merry Christmas