Clip Sport Songs Order & Album Mix-ups

Reply to Miikerman, ‎09-22-2014 10:45 PM.

Miikerman. Your response is greatly appreciated and has been very useful.

I’m sorry to hear about the database limitations. For my understanding: is the restriction on character length for names inherited from restrictions in FAT? If so, does this player employ an older more restrictive version of FAT than is common and would that explain why all previous players that I have owned did not suffer from this limitation?

Perhaps, given these restrictions, there is an improvement opportunity by implementing an automated unique full-filename –> short-filename mapping (something along the lines of e.g. 8.3 format) rather than the simple truncation that in practice will often amount to a many-to-one mapping.

With interest I pursued the second point that you made in your reply about rebuilding the file allocation table. I tried your suggestion and at first sight this seems indeed to have restored the alphabetical sorting in the Folder view. For me this is an acceptable situation, so I will hold on to this player (because of the other excellent specs, like battery lifetime & memory extendibility). However, since this workaround introduces extra steps after every file-update I still hope that a permanent solution will be implemented in a future Firmware version.

I do have some concerns about the impact of the repeated FAT rebuilding on the lifetime of the flash memory, because with this workaround every file is effectively copied three times. Does this imply that the lifetime is reduced by a factor three as well?

Once again thanks for the help! Cheers.