Clip Sport Songs Order & Album Mix-ups

@andy2014 wrote:

I was thinking about buying the SanDisk Clip Zip Sport but after reading this thread and others (Internet can be great if used) I am going to wait, buy another or just don’t buy anything.

Please someone post here whenever this bug is fixed. The more people read (but don’t buy) the more pressure on Sansa.

I’ve owned both the clip and clip+ in the past.  Other than a slightly more aesthetic design, the Sport is practically the same.  

I have no problem returning my Sport for one of the other 2.  It’s just an inconvience.  

Wish I had known about this before I bought one.  

Guess it depends on what your needs are.  

For me the double battery power is a huge attraction as I often go for multiple day hikes. I don’t know the weight of the Sport but I guess it’s more than the previous models. Maybe someone can check it?

The Sport weighs almost nothing: it’s extremely light.

Anyway, I came here to add my voice to the chorus of others.  What the hell are SanDisk thinking?  I’ve found myself accidentally hitting the play/pause or other buttons quite frequently (they don’t have much resistance).  The lack of a lock switch was stupid.  However, what’s even worse and frankly beyond belief is that they released this player without the ability to properly sort tracks on albums using tags.  This is a critical flaw and makes the player close to useless to me for listening to music.  I regret purchasing the Sport, and I don’t think I’ll go back to Sandisk.  This whole mess has made me consider getting an iPod even though I can’t stand Apple.

I’m still wondering when we’ll get that update… I should have return it when I had the chance.

There is no set timetable. Hopefully, next month . . . .

I got a Clip Sport Zip when my Zune 8 gb died. I want to use it outdoors for audiobooks and music albums.

I am also VERY surprised to find:

• It sorts songs in my music albums alphabetically (wha-a-a-?)
  • There’s no “lock” toggle for exercising (or for me, gardening).

I also don’t understand why I can input the date and time to the device, since there isn’t a way to put it in a display…

I’m very aware how to tailor title fields (and other ID3 fields) for audiobooks, and have done it in Powershell for audiobooks on MP3 –  but I haven’t done that and won’t do that to my music collection.

SanDisk, you goofed.

Being revised/corrected imminently.

@cranky wrote:

SanDisk, you goofed.

Won’t be the 1st time . . . probably won’t be the last either. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, finally! some good news!

Ok, all of the tracks I want to listen to start with the 2 digit track number, then the name and track again. I put them into a separate folder so I can find them all and they still do not play in numerical order. I like my audio dramas to play out in proper order so they make sense. So far the work arounds are a lot of work that should just be done in the player itself.

Ok, I’m not sure what else I can do, It’s not even using Alphabetical order. I renamed all of my tracks A 01 Album, Track #, and it’s just listing them in whatever order it wants. This is not acceptable and this issue is not solved at all until they update the firmware. They’ve been working on it since the start of this thread in February and it’s now May. I need this fixed or I’m stuck with a useless player.

Soon, presumably.

In the upcoming firmware update, will you be able to arrange the order or songs by FILE NAME? See @ LoneCat’s earlier reply in this thread “Green Day - American ■■■■■ - 04 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams.mp3” etc…  I (and most people that I know) arrange music by FILE NAME and not by tags or whatever that’s about.

I tried playing around with playlists in windows media player but nothing seems to be arranging the songs by FILE NAME when I try playing it in the clip sport.

I hope the lock feature will be in the firmware update, as well as to be able to sort by file name! Any word?

I have been using this FREE program for awhile to edit my mp3 tags, and did a quick search and found you can use it to quickly solve the track ordering problem. It is called Mp3tag.

All you have to do is open the directory with all of your albums you want fixed in it, and then select all the files, then click Convert, then Tag-Tag. Then on the format string put:     $num(%track%,2) %title%

Then hit OK and you are good to go :-)

This is not a final solution for the most people but a temporary work around. What if you want to change to another mp3 player or you already have a second one or a mobile phone and you regularly transfer your mp3s from the Clip Sport to that and reverse. It’s all heck of a workload just because of this stupid bug, Sansa doesn’t care.

@andy2014 wrote:

This is not a final solution for the most people but a temporary work around. What if you want to change to another mp3 player or you already have a second one or a mobile phone and you regularly transfer your mp3s from the Clip Sport to that and reverse. It’s all heck of a workload just because of this stupid bug, Sansa doesn’t care.

It’s working on the firmware update . . . .

I confirm that running the firmware update 1.17 resolves the issue. It was easy to follow the Manual Update instructions on my gentoo linux system running kernel 3.12.5. Thank you very much for the fix; I was just starting to look for the receipt when I found this.

Hm, so far in testing .mp3 and .m4a files this issue is fixed as I said before in the new firmware. However, .flac file metadata and filenames are still ignored, and the album view sorts alphabetically.  The .flac files I’m tesitng with do contain track number metadata and the filenames start with the track number.

ARTIST=Josh Abrams

ALBUM=Natural Information      
YEAR=2010
TRACK=1.
TITLE=Mysterious Delirious Fluke of the Beyond

In the album view on the Clip Sport, that track would play last because of its position from the title places it thus.

I recommend SanDisk QA test with ogg vorbis and all other supported file formats to ensure track number information is processed correctly.

Please let us know if this can be corrected in firmware 1.18, and an estimate of when that’ll be available. :smiley:

Hi.

I am new Clip Sport user.

It seems that 1.17 firmware works with flac files encoded with new versions of libFlac.

Today I’ve noticed that some of my flac files are ok(correct order in folder view and visible artist and album tags) and some are not.

I checked what’s different with them and it seems that my old files encoded with 1.1 flac encoder are not working.

Files encoded with 1.3 DO work.

Reencoding with foobar2000 with newest flac encoder fixed older files.

I’ve tried firmware 1.17 an 1.18 an 80 percent of my albums songs are still in alphabetical

and not in the order they are meant to be in. This isn’t a ploblem with my older sansa clips,

maybe they should look at the firmware on these devices and fix this ploblem. I stil

have two weeks to return my sandisk sport clip for a full refund so please fix this.