Clip Sport Issues

I have a Clip Sport (v1.27) with a 32GB C10 card that I mainly use for listening to audiobooks. These books are

my own collection from over the years and each has been assembled using MP3tag editor (which is great by

the way), creating a m3u file for each.

I bought the Sport model when my Clip+ failed. The Clip+ did very well with my books but was limited by

the 8GB card size and battery life. The Clip Sport does well… but I lost ground on several issues that

are important to me. Perhaps these have been addressed already but I’m new to the forum.

ISSUES:

1. Equalization is not available for Audiobooks.
    Since I have hearing loss and most books have arbitrary equalization, I require the ability to roll off

the bass and enhance upper midrange.

My solution has been to load the books into the Music folder on the external SDHC, but then I loose the

ability to control the play speed (only for audiobooks folder)

It would be Much better if EQ were applied to Audiobooks as well as Music. (The way Clip+ was)

1. Some loaded books (m3u files) are not included in the Library index (M3U.LIB) and do not display.
    I have looked for a reason why and can find none. The play files and playlist for each book are together

in a distinct folder on the SDHC card.

Just now I loaded a blank 32GB SDHC with one of the ‘missing’ books. It reads and displays on the Clip Sport.

Can you suggest any reasons or other tests I might try?

Further investigaton showed that Issue 2 is due to the 2000 file limit. Some of my books used ~5 minute breaks between segments producing a large number of files for the book. One loaded book was 219 files or 11% of the allowed limit.

SO. The 2000 file limit means that I’ll have to use an audio editor to consolidate mp3 files if I want to fit more of my books onto the SDHC card. An interesting limitation. Probably harder on music fans than book fans.

I have not tried playing audio books on my Sport Clip. 

I am wondering if the Equalizer menu (under the Settings menu -> System Settings menu) will change the playback EQ for all audio tracks, including audio books and not just for music mp3 files???

Also, I am starting to notice problems with the Sport Clip interpretations of my older mp3 music files that have undergone several rounds of ID3 tag editing. I think the ID3 tag area in some of my mp3 files are accumulating “tag debris” and the Sport Clip music database is having trouble interpreting these mp3 tags (especially for the album title).  These same mp3 files are identified correctly and play in order using the “Folder” playback mode.  

ALSO, I wonder if removing any special characters (above the number keys) from the filenames and ID3 tags will make it easier for the Sport Clip database interpreter?

I hope these few ideas may help resolve your questions.

>I am wondering if the Equalizer menu (under the Settings menu -> System Settings menu) will change the playback EQ for all audio tracks, including audio books and not just for music mp3 files???

The equalizer does not seem to have any effect on anything in the Audiobooks directory, so I moved my books to music directory.

The equalization in my Clip+ operated on everything.

>problems with the Sport Clip interpretations of my older mp3 music files >

I have been using Florian Heidenreich’s MP3tag (now v2.71) for at least 10 years. Quality Freeware. For books, I just assemble the files, add information, and let the program create a m3u filelist. I’ve never messed with ID3 tags but I see the program lets you do cleanups.  http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

"Further investigaton showed that Issue 2 is due to the 2000 file limit. Some of my books used ~5 minute breaks between segments producing a large number of files for the book. One loaded book was 219 files or 11% of the allowed limit.’

So put more of your books with small files into main memory, and put your music with larger files on card memory. 

Regarding these comments (from JCLbooks ):

"2. Some loaded books (m3u files) are not included in the Library index (M3U.LIB) and do not display.
I have looked for a reason why and can find none. The play files and playlist for each book are together

in a distinct folder on the SDHC card.

Further investigaton showed that Issue 2 is due to the 2000 file limit."

Did you try using the “Folder Mode” of playback in this specific situation? Does “Folder Mode” bypass the 2000 file limit for the audiobook  files stored in your “distinct folder”?  And, does the use of this distinct folder allow you to use all the EQ modes??

If the 2000 file limit is causing many unanticipated problems, will the Folder Mode allow for a convenient bypass of the database limitations when using > 2000 audio files on SD cards > 8 gb ??  Except Folder Mode does not allow shuffle of audio files between multiple sub-folders??