Charging without a computer

Clip Sport turns on while charging and  can only be turned off if being charged from a computer USB. No apparent problem

unless your in an audiobook and loose the bookmark. I switch to radio,reduce the volume, and it seems to charge OK. Any problem?

The player is supposed to remain on while it is being charged. While being charged by a pc the display stays on. It you can get it to turn off while connected to a pc, then the charging also probably stops. When the player makes a data connection with the pc, it seems like the player looses its place in the file it was playing. If you don’t want this to happen, then charge using a cell phone charger. Using a cell phone charger will charge the player faster than using a pc, and will save on wear of the player display. Some who have charged their Sandisk player all the time using the pc have reported that they eventually wore out the screen. The screen on some of these portable players might only last for 5,000 or so hours of display time. I have never had this problem, as I usually charge my players with a cell phone charger. 

Over time the player’s battery life will decrease. At first this is very gradual, but as time elapses and also after heavy usage the battery life will be much shorter. My 7 year old Clip+ now gets only around 3 hours of battery life. I’m not disappointed though, as I never expected it to last for 7+ years.

@jk98 wrote:

Using a cell phone charger will charge the player faster than using a pc, and will save on wear of the player display.

It depends:  some PCs have a dedicated USB charging port, which outputs as much power as many external chargers.