A Newbie's non technical review.

@miikerman wrote:

@tintin wrote:

Thank you Miikerman, some good reading there. It makes me wonder why Sandisk brought out the Sport which in many ways is a step backwards from the Zip - the song limitation, no time display, ditching radio recording etc.  And then you look at the Sport+ - ditching the card slot!

I would have thought Sandisk would pay very close attention to what people want in their devices (within reason of course given size and cost.). I am sure this forum could design the ultimate clip by committee!

I guess we are dealing with a listening format that is strictly “noughties” in approach and there is no mass market out there anymore, just a dedicated following who seek the holy grail of mp3 players.

But then, if vinyl can make a comeback…

From what I have gathered (although I’m still not convinced), it relates to SanDisk’s take on the economics of it.  But it just seems to me that the fruit company has made a successful go of it–and I think that some (or even many?) of us would be willing to pay x dollars more for a quality player from the likes of SanDisk.  (Would $10 or even $20 make a difference to many consumers, if the quality is there?  Look at what a former company like Beats was able to do in its space . . . .)

As to the lack of a card slot on the Sport+, that may have as much as or more to do with the water resistance feature.

I would be willing to pay up to $100 for a player with a built in battery if it is worth the price. For a high quality player that uses an easily swappable inexpensive standard rechargeable battery, I might pay up to $200 or perhaps even more if it is really great. Some of the things I want in a player are high enough power output, a metal enclosure, two card slots, being Rockboxable(or else coming with firmware that is as versatile and customizable as rockbox). Now that I have a player that outputs up to 65mw into 32 ohms, I 

am not so pleased with players that have much lower power output. I wonder when mass market portable audio players will start using silver based rechargeable batteries. These have much higher energy density than lithium based ones, and are much safer. They are already common in hearing aids.