JRZ

Not as easy to use as previous models

I've been a loyal sansa clip user for 10 plus years. I previously had the 4GB and 8GB models. When I saw there was a 16GB model with Bluetooth, I jumped at it. My problem is that it is not as easy to sync up playlists. On the earlier models, you could just drag a Windows playlist over to the Sync window and boom! It would sync up, no problem. Now you have to create a folder, drag it over to WMP, save it as something called a M3u playlist, set the shortcut in the folder and drag the folder to the device while it's hooked to your computer. Why did they have to take away the ease of use? Very disappointing.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Not as easy to use as previous models

This is probably due to the fact that the previous models had 2 connection modes, MTP & MSC. MTP mode is what was used with WMP & saved the playlist file with the .wpl extension. This file would be stored in the Playlist folder on the device.

M3u format is the extension used with MSC connection mode. This format playlist must be stored in the Music folder (or folder wher the audio files are stored). The newer players are MSC-only mode devices.

SanDisk User

To add a bit more detail about playllists:

I believe that M3U playllists are specific (proprietary?) to Apple.

And, I'm guessing that the earlier, no longer supported playlist mentioned above, is

NOT based on any Industry-standard.

[ I tried building some html-5 video-tagged webcode to play with playlists, and found that

M3U wasn't supported by some of the more common browsers, so I stopped development of that webpage. ]

--- Sarasota Slim
My mp3-music-media products:
(1)Clip Sport MP3 Player (2)Clip Sport Plus MP3 Player (BT)
(3)Android-tablet : Nexus-9 (BT) (4) Starlink console (BT) (in my car)
SanDisk Guru

SarasotaSlim wrote:

To add a bit more detail about playllists:

I believe that M3U playllists are specific (proprietary?) to Apple.

No M3U was not developed by or specific to Apple. They are simple text files that are used to call a lit of songs or streams to be played. you can read more about M#U at the link below. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U 

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ah, as mentioned in that wikipedia article, it is M3U8 that is Apple-specific, not the earlier M3U.

Sorry about any confusion.

--- Sarasota Slim
My mp3-music-media products:
(1)Clip Sport MP3 Player (2)Clip Sport Plus MP3 Player (BT)
(3)Android-tablet : Nexus-9 (BT) (4) Starlink console (BT) (in my car)