Can't activate Clip Jam with Audible Manager

I’ve seen lots of forum posts about problems with Clip Sport / Clip Zip / Clip Zip+ and Audible Manager.  Add the Clip Jam to that list.

Before you can transfer books to the device with the Audible Manager, you’re supposed to “activate” the device.  When i try this, I get “Failed to set activation data to device.”    Other SanDisk devices have the same problem, but none of the workarounds to solve the problem for other devices are working for the Clip Jam.

Anyone heard of a fix or a workaround for the Clip Jam to be activated with Audible Manager?

Thanks.

I just got the solution from Audible support.  It’s similar to the solution used for the Clip Sport:  the drive letter assigned by Windows to the Clip Jam needs to be changed from the default.

Instructions for Windows 7:

With the Clip Jam connected to the computer, select Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

In the Computer Management dialog, select Disk Management in the left hand pane.

One of the disks will be the Clip Jam.  Right click on it and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths…”

Select the current drive letter and click on “Change…”

Assign drive letter B: to the Clip Jam (assuming you don’t already have another device there, e.g. a floppy drive)

Under Audible Manager, in the lower right pane where it says “Sansa Clip Jam,” make sure that the “Internal” radio button is selected.  With the new drive letter assigned, you can then activate the device.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the “instruction kit.”  And this issue may now have been fixed, as Audible finally has added the Jam to its list of compatible devices–hopefully, that will ease matters. 

I just have to give a big thanks to Shep for the solution for my Clip Sport to be compatible with Audible.  I have been trying for two days straight and emailing forever hoping I could figure that out. I didn’t particularly want to download something new to change formats and then I read your solution that took a whole three mintues and it works like a charm.  Thank you so much!!

My thanks also to Shep. This works for my Sansa Clip+ 8gb. I had tried re-allocating the drive to ‘I’ as suggested elsewhere but using the ‘B’ drive worked a treat.

These instructions were ineffective for me on Windows 10. 

Sandisk has a fix for this, as of January 11, 2016:  The latest firmware version 1.29 makes the Clip Sport visible again in Audible Manager 5.5.0.8

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Global Customer Care. I understand that your Sansa Clip sport is not getting activated in Audible Manager. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We have new firmware update V 1.29 to fix audible issues. Please follow the instructions below :

Click here to downloadthe latest update firmware file
• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to a folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once it is back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.29".

Please reply to this email should you require further assistance. We are glad to help!

The latest firmware 1.29 fixes this problem.

http://downloads.sandisk.com/firmware/clipsport/129/UPGRADE.hex

I got this from the Sandisk response:

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Global Customer Care. I understand that your Sansa Clip sport is not getting activated in Audible Manager. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We have new firmware update V 1.29 to fix audible issues. Please follow the instructions below :

Click here to download the latest update firmware file
• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to a folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once it is back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.29".

@colly wrote:

The latest firmware 1.29 fixes this problem.

http://downloads.sandisk.com/firmware/clipsport/129/UPGRADE.hex

This firmware update is for the Sport model, not the Jam. :wink:

I tried renaming my Clip Jam to B as suggested but it hasn’t helped. When I try to activate my device, the log-in page just won’t acccept my user name and password (correctly entered). Very frustrating. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Also, I reinstalled Audible Manager to try and fix my problem, now the lower right pane moves across and obscures the actual device content so I won’t be able to delete files. Annoying.

I am also very frustrated with this.  I looked at all of the suggestions and started tweeking this and that. I could not change drive to B, it still is I.  I found that the Audible Manager that has been working for years, no longer works after I tried to activate the Jam on it.  I have Windows 10 by the way.  I updated the Audible Download Manger ( that box that downloads to your Manager) and it seems that everything goes to my PC and is available in that little box.  You click on Options in the top left corner above the Audible Download Manager title .  There you can activate your device.  It took me to another log in with my Amazon account, and Jam was activated.  Then I clicked  Downloads, below the title, then click Downloads folder, and all your titles should be there.  I downloaded a title, then disconnected the Jam, clicked on Folder, and went down to the title of the book.  DO Not click on audible or audiobooks, they are empty or say not compatible,  just keep going to the book itself.  So far it has worked with 3 books.  That could change!  Before this, I deactivated all the players by calling Audible.

I gathered up all my old clip+ players that I thought would not work or thought I lost, and got them working.  I will use the Jam up, and keep my clip+ players for as long as I can.  I will not reccomend this Jam to anyone!  I have a friend who threw hers in a drawer, she was so frustrated.  I will try to walk her through the process, and we will see what happens.

1 Like

I assigned my player to drive b and now my computer will not recognize the player.  :(  

Changing the drive letter to B worked for me (jam) BUT I also had to tell windows7 autoplay to ‘always open the device with windows media player’. Seems that Audible manager is just piggybacking on WMP somehow. Without doing that (and being unable to set the player into MTP mode,. like I could with my old clipzips) either it would not authorise OR, if already authoriused, I had the old ‘lower right pane (showing device contents) scrolls all the way across until it is entuirely white/blank’, which I have seen before with clipzip in MSC mode.

Basically audible manager is the pits, only surpassed by their ‘follow the script, your happiness IS really important to us’ live chat customer servants (and they’ve hidden their tech support email address really well. If my partner wasn’r an avid listener I’d have given up long ago).

See also

Audible Manager problem with SanDisk MP3 player - YouTube

for how is messes up even as you watch it.

@gsv3miac wrote:

See also

Audible Manager problem with SanDisk MP3 player - YouTube

for how is messes up even as you watch it.

Regarding that video…I just finished speaking with their chat support and they had a work-around that fixed the issue I was having with my Clip Jam. 

Firstly, make sure your device is added to the manager and activated. Once your device storage (the pie chart thing) starts scrolling to the left hit the “Refresh Device Button” multiple times. Just keep clicking that button and if done correctly it should stop scrolling to the left. For me it took about about a dozen clicks and it ended up stopping when it had migrated around halfway across the screen. From there I was able to drag and drop my audiobook without issue. Hope this helps!

I just installed this Sport Firmware into my Jam and now it won’t turn back on.  THANKS.