SanDisk User

Audiobooks on JAM

Hey gang.  I was checking the boards and it has been a while since someone asked and audiobook question on the Jam board.  I am currently babying an aging Clip Zip which I love, but my primary usage is Audiobooks.  When the sport and Jam came out I checked the boards and it looked like many were dissappointed with the quality of Audiobook playback on the new models so I got a spare Zip.  Well, I fear for the life expectancy of my current Zip and they are getting very hard to find so I thought I would ask, have the troubles with audiobooks on the newer models been worked out?  I mostly transfer MP3 audiobooks to my Audiobook folder and have no issues with my Zip.  I don't use audible.  Any word out there about the current firmware etc?  Thanks Much

Highlighted

Re: Audiobooks on JAM

[ Edited ]

I also need player to listening MP3 audiobooks. Which one I should choose? Clip Jam, Clip Sport or maybe old Sansa Clip Plus. Need it while jogging.

SanDisk Senior User

Same question, my Zip has died. My sons have taken over my old Clip+s, and my Clip originals don't have the storage space I'd like. I'd appreciate any recommendations on Jam vs Sport for MP3 audiobooks. I don't use audible or DRM audiobooks.

Anything new or different that should be noted? I've heard the Jam no longer has a dedicated power button - does 'press & hold' still do a hard reset?

Thanks.

z-paul wrote:

I also need player to listening MP3 audiobooks. Which one I should choose? Clip Jam, Clip Sport or maybe old Sansa Clip Plus. Need it while jogging.

SanDisk User

I am glad I am not the only one out here still using MP3 audiobooks and not just streaming from a phone.  That said I am really surprised we haven't heard more from the regulars.  I know the forums have been really helpful to me in the past.

If you love your zip and are willing to fork out the money, you can still find new in box and refurbished on e-bay and around the web.  My last one was refurbished and has given me no trouble but the one before that was new in the box and lasted 3 months, I got sansa to waranty that one but a few month later I forgot it was in my pocket and washed it...oh well.  THe thing is, the price point is way off the chart to what you pay for a jam or sport or even a zip if you bought it while it was still being manufactured.

I am seriously considering purchasing a JAM and testing it.  Worst case senario the kids have a new toy.  If I do that I will post about my results here for any who are interested.

That said, HEY GUYS, anybody out there that can give me a review?  Anybody have positive feedback on the JAM or the SPORT with audiobooks?  Or for that matter, negative feedback so I know to look elsewhere.  THANKS MUCH!

SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Audiobooks on JAM and Sport

[ Edited ]

I have successfully used my Clip Sport to organize and play audiobooks copied from CD's (public library) and from Overdrive service (also public library).  Maybe take a look at this long discussion in the SanDisk Forum.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Audiobooks-do-not-show-up-properly/m-p/355309#M3090

Also, there are a few common complaints by new Sport and Jam owners when attepting to use these players for their audiobooks.

1. Slow fast-forwarding speed to advance to a distant playback point in a long file.

2. Only one "resume" point saved per audio file (Books mode).

3. Books mode does not accept playlists.