Accepted Solution

OK to Format Cruzer With NTFS?

I have a Cruzer Micro 4 GB flash drive with 3.6 GB of free space. It is currently formatted with the FAT32 file system. I use Windows XP.

To solve a problem with third-party software I need to format my flash drive with the NTFS file system. (I will, of course, backup the contents before doing this.)

Are there any disadvantages to having NTFS on my Cruzer?

Thanks for your help.

Re: OK to Format Cruzer With NTFS?

It technically will wear it out the memory cells faster.

But chances are you will have either lost it, or if you are like me, broken it, long before it wears out.

Thanks for your help, Professor.

I have since learned that NTFS will write to the drive more frequently. But, like yourself, I'll likely break the drive (hope not!) or graduate to a larger Cruzer long before the memory cells wear out. The increased writes may possible make the drive feel slower...won't know until I try.

You should not notice a speed difference.  And yes, because NTFS is a journaling file system it writes more often.

Oh, and I forgot to mention one thing. If you format it NTFS, you must use the Safely Remove Tool in the task bar to eject the drive, else you risk data corruption.

I use the Safely Remove tool regardless...an extra few seconds and I know my data is secure.

OK, I did the deed so now I can let everyone in on an ENORMOUS GOTCHA when formatting a USB drive with NTFS: user account permissions.

When using my NTFS-formatted Cruzer with a Limited User account I lost write access to the drive. This meant I could not use most of my portable apps and could not edit documents. I could login to an Administrator account to give all users 'full control' for the session, but the next time I inserted the drive I had no write access once again.

Now if I understood NTFS permissions better I might be able to figure a workaround for this problem, but I finally just formatted my Cruzer back to FAT32 and can now use it successfully as a Limited User.

Message Edited by Bruiser99 on 09-12-2008 08:50 PM

I think I have a reason for that.  It has to do with how the U3 LaunchPad is configured to auto-start.

It probably will work without U3 on the drive.  But, because U3 needs to launch for read and write access to the drive, a limited account may interfere with this.  

If I get a chance I will test this. 

I actually removed U3 from this drive long ago (with SanDisk's utility).

And in case I wasn't sufficiently clear: This is not a Cruzer problem. It has to do with NTFS permissions. Like I said, if I understood NTFS permissions better I might understand exactly what caused me to lose write access and how to fix it. For now I just decided to go back to FAT32.

Where do you get this removal utility?

We have had a lot of problems with the Cruzers (4 bad ones in the last 6 months)

u3 removal tool

you can also uninstall through the settings menu in the u3 launchpad

settings>u3 launchpad settings>uninstall