With a Nikon D7000 is SDXC or SDHC memory best?

I have a new Nikon D7000 digital SLR camera that will take both SDXC and SDHC memory. I understand that SDXC cards can be larger capacity and at some time in the future cards may be released that are faster, but at the moment the 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC is the fastest.

If the above is correct, and if the 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC card is approximately the same price as the 64GB Ultra SDXC card, which one is the better choice?

I guess what I’m asking is if my camera can take advantage of the higher speed (45MB/s vs. 15MB/s) will it matter to me or, for this camera, even taking 1080p videos, will I not notice/appreciate the difference?

Obviously the SDXC card is twice as large and that is very appealing for the same price. Are there any other advantages to the SDXC format besides the ability to be larger?

Your thoughts and expertise is greatly appreciated, Selby

If somoeone is selling the 64GB SDXC card at the same price as the 32GB SCHC, I wouls be suspect of that 64GB card seller and the authenticity of the card. That’s twice the size for the same price? Major red flag in my opinion.

As the 16GB card entered the market and then the 32GB card later, each time we saw a deluge of counterfeit cards being offered at too-good-to-be-true prices. It’s still going on as a matter of fact. Many people got burned.

I would suggest extreme caution and only buy from a reputable dealer with a written and honest return policy, in person and somewhere phsically where you can return the card if there’s a problem with it. Too many on-line dealers are either unscrupulous preying on people’s desire for lower prices at the expense of common sense, or themselves being victims of these scumbags spreading illegal and counterfiet memory cards, and passing them on unknowingly.

If someone is selling the 64GB SDXC card at the same price as the 32GB SDHC, I would be suspect of that 64GB card seller and the authenticity of the card. That’s twice the size for the same price? Major red flag in my opinion.

As the 16GB card entered the market and then the 32GB card later, each time we saw a deluge of counterfeit cards being offered at too-good-to-be-true prices. It’s still going on as a matter of fact. Many people got burned.

I would suggest extreme caution and only buy from a reputable dealer with a written and honest return policy, in person and somewhere physically where you can return the card if there’s a problem with it. Too many on-line dealers are either unscrupulous preying on people’s desire for lower prices at the expense of common sense, or themselves being victims of these scumbags spreading illegal and counterfeit memory cards, and passing them on unknowingly.

The Lexar SDXC Lexar Media 64 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card LSD64GCRBNA133 is a 20MB/sec Class 10, 64GB card for $128 @ Amazon and $121 @ B&H Photo.

The SanDisk SDXC SanDisk 64GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed is a 15MB/sec Class 4, 32GB card for $123 @ Amazon and $120 @ B&H Photo. 

The SanDisk SDHC SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card (SDSDXP1-032G-A75) is a 45MB/sec Class 10, 32GB card for $142 @ Amazon and $139 @ B&H Photo.

I have never had any problems with Amazon and I’ve had a good experience with B&H as well so I feel reasonably confident that the manufacturers are blowing the bottom out of the pricing on the SDXC cards. Currently they are all UHS-1 and, as new as that is, they have just announced agreement on UHS-2 which is supposed to allow speeds up to 300MB/sec and maybe that is why these are, comparatively, so cheap. As you can see above, the 64GB SDXC cards are less expensive than the fastest 32GB SDHC cards.

Which all brings me back to whether I should buy the 32GB 45MB/sec card or the 64GB 15 or 20MB/sec card???

Also, to complicate things just a bit more, the Lexar SDXC 64GB card is NOT on Nikon’s approved memory list for the D7000. So if I stay with “approved” memory then the choice is really between the 32GB 45MB/sec card or the 64GB 15MB/sec card. Three times the speed or double the size?? Which is a better choice with a D7000? One of each?

Thanks, Selby

Great advice guys.I need more information about this.Thanks so informational.

I want to bump this because both Buy.com and Adorama has the 64GB SanDisk SDXC card for $46.95, free shipping!

A faster card is always better than a larger card, as it enables you to take photos and record he data created by the camera to your card faster. This means with a faster card you can take more photos in a shorter period of time. I prefer to buy the fasterst card I can get for my cameras in the largest capacity I can afford.

I also have been on the lookout and guess who has a 64 magnet/water/,…Format: SDXC*
Ratings: SD 3.0, Class 10, UHS-1
Capacity: 64 GB**
Write Performance: Up to 35 MB/s (233X)***
Read Performance: Up to 50 MB/s
Temperature: Tested to perform from -25° C to 85° C (-13° F to 185° F)
Durability: Magnet proof, Temperature proof, Shock proof, Water proof

Costco - at around $50 bucks.

Professional X series SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) is the latest high speed flash memory card from PNY. These cards are rated Class 10 and feature a new Ultra High Speed (UHS-1) data bus for incredible transfer rates with speeds of up to 60MB/s seq. read and 35MB/s*** seq. write. These cards are compatible with SDXC host devices ranging from the latest hi-megapixel cameras and HD camcorders to hi-end DSLRs and laptops.

And with Costco I get full customer service return options. This disk seems to be adequate.