SanDisk® Industrial microSD Card

Hi all,

We are planning to use the SanDisk microSD Industrial SD Card for one of our products, as per document (02-05-WW-02-00005 Rev 1.1 - May 2016 ) . Anyone knows where to buy a few of those to perform an assessment on usage, wear etc.? The plan is to use the “Health Status”, the estimated percent life used against various usage scenarios. But we need to order a few of these cards …

Thanks

Marco

There are contact links at the bottom of the page below

https://www.sandisk.com/oem-design/industrial/industrial-cards

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to find an online retil that would sell these … but I have posted a question now. The link you point to does not list “where to buy”.

Thanks

Marco

Having finally got some 64GB Industrial microSD cards and having read the “SanDisk® Industrial microSD Card - Product Manual”, 02-05-WW-02-00005 Rev 1.1 - May 2016, section 1.5.7, “Health Status” I am now looking for a SanDisk tool that would display the card’s information on the Health Status (an possibly other info, like the Status Register) . Anyone knows of such a tool from SanDisk for Windows?

Thanks

Marco

Ok,

given that I did not get any answer here (nor anywhere else) I tried writing an app that queries the Health Status Register through the the SD General Command (GEN_CMD) as described in the spec (CMD56 with argument of [00 00 00 01]).

Anyone tried this? Whatever I try to send as query to the SD (using Windows 10 call similar to:

<font face="terminal,monaco" size="2">DeviceIoControl(dev_hdl, IOCTL_SFFDISK_DEVICE_COMMAND, pCmd, nSizeofCmd, pCmd, nSizeofCmd, &amp;dwBytesReturned, NULL);
</font>

I get error 0x32 (ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED, i.e., guess: “The request is not supported.” :slight_smile: )

I have read that you have to connect your SD card directly to the PCI bus because if it goes through a USB device, the USB driver intecepts the ioctl and complains … I hope this is not true, but I do not know the USB implementation on Windows (or on Linux for that matter …).

Any help much appreciated.

Marco

I ended up having to get an NDA going with WDC to get the doc, still working on getting the utilities.

Not sure why the tools are so locked up, but OEMProducts at WDC dot com was able to get me rolling on the NDA, so that’s probably a good start.

Hi @technojaguar. I stumbled into the same issue, I need to read health status of SanDisk industrial card on Windows 10. I’ve tried writing an app using IOCTL_SFFDISK_DEVICE_COMMAND to no avail. Can you tell me how to get the tools you used for that purpose? Thanks in advance.

Hi @trivin2024 @technojaguar

There are quite a few Raspberry Pi (Linux based) users employing the SanDisk / WD Industrial SD cards, in the mainboard card slot. This slot is NOT going through a usb controller / interface. But is directly addressed on the mainboard bus.

It would be great if any of you having an internal contact at SanDisk / WD, would post any contacts you have gleaned. So we could get some utilities released or specifications needed to readout the SD Card Health Status Register and decode it.

Below link is a related thread on the Raspberry Pi Forum, showing how appropriate SD card command and response could be sent, using the mmc-utils package.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?p=1988851

Regards,

William Croft
Biomedical engineer

As stated previously, OEMProducts at WDC dot com

@technojaguar, thanks, were you able to use the information they gave you, to issue the required function code and decode the response? The ‘datasheet’ below from 2015 seems to provide all that information in section 1.6. So frankly, signing an NDA would mean that, for example, an open-source C program to read and decode the Health Status Register, could not be created.

1 Like

Unfortunately no. Due to the NDA I was unable to work with external resources, and the registers have only been certified to work on certain card readers, none of which I have.

Thanks, I have a lead now on a developer who has written a small Raspberry Pi program called ‘sdmon’, which is sending a similar CMD56, and reading the response. I have sent an email to him and am awaiting a response. Almost certainly some simple mods to this program will be a solution, IF you are running on a Pi with the SanDisk Industrial microSD.

Regards, William

1 Like

The sdmon.c program now runs on Raspberry Pi platform, showing the Health Status register value. For details see the previously posted link in this thread to the Raspberry Pi Forums.

William

1 Like

happen to locate the 8 pad data sheet/pin out? not as much concerned about soft form - simply want to connect it correctly with jumpers.