SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™ UHS-1 Card

Hi,

Does the above said card support full HD video recording over 4GiB (12mins) ? My previous 8GB wouldn’t record more than 4GiB due to FAT32 file system limitation… I’m using Canon EOS 60D, please recommend a suitable card where I can record full HD video to around 30 mins without auto cut off.

Regards.

Well according to Canon website, the limit of your camera in recording is only 4GB or 29mins and 59 secs only. SDHC cards are formatted on FAT32 file system which is limited to writing at 4gb only. Although your 60D supports SDXC cards,  I’m not  sure if using an exFat system(w/c allows writing of more than 4gb) would make a difference since most DSLRs have their own limitations due to the heat generated by their larger sensors.

UHS is just a new technology to achieve a higher speed. On top of that, eventhough UHS cards are backward compatible, you might not even see any performance gain in using a UHS card with your camera. UHS cards would need to hand shake with the host to get its lightning speed.  More likely the speed will just drop down to about 20mb/s class 6. :wink:

Hi Jamieson,

The link u provided doesn’t show any information about the limitation of video recording. Can u direct me to a correct link ?

So even if I get the SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC, my EOS 60D will not record more than 4GiB as well ?

Thanks!

the limitation is the FAT32 file system. you can google “FAT32 file system single file size limitation” Basically the FAT32 File system only supports a single file up to 4GB in size. This is way you are limited. it is not the length of the video but the actual file size. 

if your camera supports SDXC cards you can reformat the card into exFAT.  exFAT does not have the same limit on a single file size. You can reformat the card in exFAT and you should not see the issue. depending on what operating system you ahve you may need to update or install a patch for exFAT support. let me know what operating system you are using and I can point you in the right direction.

The SanDisk 64GB SDXC cards are class 4 and may not be capable of HD video capture in your camera.  

Hi,

I’m using Canon EOS 60D. According to Canon’s site, it is capable of all SD, SDHC and SDXC cards. I have had emailed SanDisk technical support regarding this issue. And the answer I got is that the new Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™ UHS-1 card is capable of supporting both FAT32 and exFAT.

I did format my 8GB SDHC to exFAT on Windows 7 but the problem still occurs…

Thanks!

i guess it is possible the camera is limiting the length of the video. not sure why they would do that but it is possible, i have seen weirder things. here is what you can try. record a video until it cuts off. note exactly how long the recording is and check the size of the file on the computer. if the video is under 4GB and the camera consistently cuts off at a specific time then the camera is setting the limitation not the file system used on the storage device. 

@hanen87 wrote:

Hi Jamieson,

The link u provided doesn’t show any information about the limitation of video recording. Can u direct me to a correct link ?

So even if I get the SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC, my EOS 60D will not record more than 4GiB as well ?

Thanks!

Click here and type in the search bar “Approximately how many images can I fit on a memory card?”

No. It is not limit by the length of video. It is due to the 4GiB filesize limitation. I have had tried it several times, it auto cut off after 11 or 12 minutes for full HD video. The weird thing is that I format my 8GB SDHC card with exFAT on Windows 7 and the recording still cut off… Windows 7 should be native support exFAT file system right ?

yes win 7 natively supports exFAT. the camera may be stopping the recording at 4GB file size. it is definitely not a limit of exFAT. I would contact the camera manufacturer and check to see if it is a limitation of the camera firmware. 

• Scalability to large disk sizes: 64 ZiB[12] theoretical max, 512 TiB recommended max, raised from the 2 TiB limit of FAT32 partitions. Note that the built-in Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 format utility limits new FAT32 partitions to 32 GiB.[1]
  • Cluster size up to 32 MiB[1]
  • Subdirectory size up to 256 MiB[1]
  • File size limit of 16 EiB[13] (Limited by volume size), raised from close to 4 GiB in FAT32[1]
  • Free space allocation and delete performance improved due to introduction of a free space bitmap
  • Support for up to 2,796,202 files per subdirectory,[2][14] increased from 65,536
  • Support for access control lists (not supported in Windows Vista SP1)[15]
  • Support for TFAT, a transactional file system standard (optionally WinCE activated function)
  • Provision for OEM-definable parameters to customize the file system for specific device characteristics
  • Support for UTC timestamps (starting with Vista SP2)[16]
  • Timestamp granularity of 10 ms (better than previous FAT versions’ 2 s, but worse than NTFS’s 100 ns)[2]

drlucky, did u get any answers from Canon side ?

no the answer is the spec of exFAT. you would need to contact canon to see if they are putting file size limits in their firmware since the file system definitely supports files larger than 4GB. 

Hello Dr.Lucky,

We have recently received from our SanDisk provider the new SDHC Extreme UHS-I . As far as I understand, only the Nikon D7000 can achieve the new speed rate of 300X (45MB/s) that this new extreme cards can achieve.

But, what happen if I put the UHS-I card in a camera that does not support or optimized to UHS-I, will get the 45MB/s or will function as a Class-10 card at 200X (30MB/s)? 

We have been advised that SanDisk are going to discontinue the former SDHC extreme Class-10 cards (30MB/s version) for the new UHS-I.

Do you have a list of Canon, Nikon,etc… models that will accept the UHS-I cards as D7000?

Thanks in advance.

well even the d7000 will not write at 45MB/s it will be able to ustilize the faster speed but it will not write at the full 45. 

if UHS cards are put in a non UHS host they will work at the lower speed of the host. most likely this will not exceed 20MB/s.

i do not have a list of UHS compatible hosts. the camera manufacturers websites would be the best place for that info

Thanks for all the great information, but I am still confused. I am ordering the new Canon SX230 HS and the recommendation for a card is everything from a Class 6 up including the SDXC. I wanted to utilize the HD video tape capability so thought a Class 10 would be the best. Then after reading in the forums, the UHS-1 sounds like it might be better, especially if SanDisk is discontinuing the Class 10, What I can’t determine is if this camera will support the UHS-1 type to it’s fullest potential. I have perused around the recommended disk area on the SanDisk sight and the UHS-1 don’t seem to be listed as a recommended type for any camera; too new maybe?

UHS is still really new so compatibuility is probably still being updated. that being said UHS cardfs will work with and SDHC host since that also handshake with the host as class if the host is not UHS compatible. 

Theres no information about the limitation of video recording on the said link.Thanks. 

If you are using Windows XP you must get the update for ex FAT 32 . -  UPDATE for Windows XP ( KB955704 )

Also, you must use a USB - 3  Card Reader which will work on USB 2 at a slower speed. NEVER Format a SDXC ( UHS -1 ) card on a non SDXC device.