Please help: My Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16GB card is suddenly write-protected!

After about half a year of usage I suddenly get the message that I cannot write or erase any file from my USB stick because it’s write protected! There is no physical switch so it has to be an software issue.

Eventually I found instructions how to remove the write protection via a windows programme but after having caaried out the clearing of the “read only” setting nothing has changed. When using the same instructions to format the disk I got the message that there is an I/O error.

The fault is not my PC because I use other USB devices including other USB sticks. Of course I don’t need any formatting, just being able to rease and write new files to the Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16GB disk is all I want and need to do.

Can you please tell me how to proceed?  The stick has never dropped or been physically damaged in any way. This read-only condition suddenly appeared after having put some scanned documents onto the stick and then reading it on my main PC. After having read the files (all without any problems) I appear to be unable to erase them from the stick.

Have you tried using the Search function here on the forum? This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

While it generally regarded as non-correctable, you might find something that helps here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3Aall-cards-readers&q=write+protect

Otherwise, your only option is to contact SanDisk Customer Service/Tech Support for a warranty replacement.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find something that works, It would be beneficial to others in the same boat. :wink: