Performance difference in Extreme cards

I had posted this over the weekend but apparently in the forums that are no more so hopefully this new setup will get a response.

I have 2 8GB Extreme cards that produce very different performance numbers, the cards were purchased at different times from different vendors earlier this year.

Using my D700 w/MB-D10 grip using fully charged Eneloops shooting RAW. Camera set to Continuous High and Focus set to Release. I format the cards in camera. During the testing I formatted the card after each test and tested one card for each time during then the other, camera on a tripod.

Card 1 BI090812916B

21 shots in 5 seconds

27 shots in 10 seconds

34 shots in 15 seconds

Card 2 BI09112916B

23 shots in 5 seconds

33 shots in 10 seconds

44 shots in 15 second

I ran each test 3 times.

Thoughts?

the 5 and 10 sec test are withing the acceptable margin of error. the 15 sec test is a more significant difference. I would suggest using a tool like hdbench or hdtach to benchmark the cards using a computer and see how they test. 

THanks, I’ll google those and give them a shot.

Yeah, I think the 5 and 10 second are more the camera buffer working, the D700 is fast.

FYI - I ended up calling tech support and they had me send the card back, got a replacement and it performs the same as the other card :smileyvery-happy: