FORMAT 64GB MICRO SDXC PROBLEM

:smiley:   Hi J-One,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

Congratulations friend, also:

-  It’s more simpler, if you need FAT32 (you can have files size up to 4 Gb) on the micro SDXC 64GB, utilize

the tool (portable app, free):  USB Flash Fat32 Format 1.01

• Try your microSDXC 64GB, in a laptop directly to its port-card (not USB card-reader).

In PC, use only USB card-reader of brand, of high quality (SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, Samsung, etc).

Because most and the cheap, are junk, not have the chips, check it yourself.

Take a look:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/Micro-SD-Adapter-needed-to-unlock-write-protection-on-micro-SD/m-p/323920#M3218

Enjoy!

Regards, Alfred.                                                            (Google translated)

thats fair enough. i am having the same problem as everyone.

however, what happenes to the personal date and photos store in the car that no longer allowes formatting? 

are we to simply trust SanDisk with our private content? mu card is within warranty and i want a new one but do not wish to hand over my personal conten stored on the card. 

so what is the way forward seeing that i can not remove such content and do not trust SanDisk ( i.e. see what happend to sony - same could happen to SanDisk) 

this question is directed to SanDisk.

1 Like

Hi Izzy001,

[  this question is directed to SanDisk.  ]

Then, you can send the question to the SanDisk Support Team: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask/

I have same problem with my Ultra microSd XC 64GB card. And I too do not want to give my personal data Sandisk. Will Sandisk Answer…???

Then, you can also send the question to the SanDisk Support Team: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask/

@cacho wrote:

Then, you can also send the question to the SanDisk Support Team: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask/

That is really not helping - this is a forum, please post the answer here to the question so we can all see it rather than everyone pointlessly asking the same question to Sandisk support.

I also have a failed 128GB micro SDXC card (just suddenly stopped being able to write to it, has around 75GB on it right now and worked fine up to that point) which has personal data on it I want to wipe before returning it for a warranty replacement. My card seems to be stuck in the write protect mode described in this thread, is there an way to override it temporarily to wipe the card? I have the data I want from it so I don’t need the card to protect its data.

John

My own 64GB micro SDXC card has failed in exactly the same way as everyone elses.

As I am unable to wipe my personal data from the card due o this widespread fault I am also not prepared to send the card with the data intact to Sandisk for replacement.

I will be emailing/chatting to Sandisk about this later today and I will report what they say later. I will suggest that I would be prepared to return the card if I can cut it into two pieces to ensure the data is destroyed. I think this would be a sensible solution.

Dave

OK, I have now spoken to Customer Services and I explained the problem to them. This is the conversation:

Clauber B.: Hello, thank you for contacting SanDisk. My name is Clauber B… Please give me a moment while I look into your question.
Liva B.: Hello, thank you for contacting SanDisk. My name is Liva B… Please give me a moment while I look into your question.
Clauber B. has left the chat.
Liva B.: Please be advised that SanDisk RMA policy is to replace products under warranty, once the defective product is received in one piece. We do not review data.
Dave Sibley: Thank you. I appreciate that but I do feel uncomforatable sending you this card with personal, confidential information on it. As a possible solution, would it be ok for me to cut the card into 2 pieces which will destroy the information the card contains?
Liva B.: Alright, we will make an exception for you to return the product broken in pieces.
To provide you with a sense of security, you may break the SanDisk defective device and ship it back to us.
Also, please print out and include this update so that our Receiving Department does not reject your RMA.

Dave Sibley: Thats very kind. thank you for your understanding.
Liva B.: You are very welcome.

Is there anything else I may assist you with, Dave?

Dave Sibley: No thank you. You have been very helpful.
Liva B.:

Thank you for contacting SanDisk, and have a great day, Dave.

Liva B. has disconnected.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I have the same issue with a SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 on my lg g3, any luck?

i think i got same issue with my Sandisk Ultra 64gb,

SDFormetter says its “Write Protected” but its not the Switch on the Adapter.

if i check the via CMD, Diskpart in Windows the Volume or Disk Details it tell me no Write protec or ReadOnly and succesful clean.

nevenmind what i do, delete or copy new data on it, after plug out and back in the Data state is resettet. Same in my Phone, can use it till i unplug the card or reboot phone, microSD card will reset to the current state.

In Linux using gparted i got an “unable to write format changes into kernal” error, that looks like the Card locked itself like said here:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8656

Hi.

I have the same problem with my 64GB SDxC Ultra memory chip.

I have sent an e-mail to you and now wait for a reply.

Kind regards,

Geoff Smith.

You might have sent an e-maill to SanDisk Tech/Customer Support but _ this _ is a user’s forum. You will get no personal reply from here.

The following info may or may not help someone else with similar issues to myself.

I came to this thread looking for an answer to why I could not access my 64GB microSD card (replacement from SANDISK) on any of my android devices despite reformatting to FAT32 (using HP USB Disk). Card originally was exFAT.

I used the suggested formatting tool SD Association’s Formatter from this thread and also selected the Format Size Adjustment option as ON with a quick format.

My card was then recoqnised in my Android devices (Toshiba AT300 & Samsung Galaxy SII).

The tool had set the file system back to exFAT.

Here is a snippet from the tools manual:

_ Format Size Adjustment _
If the formatted capacity of the card is not a multiple of capacity in a cylinder, some hosts may not
access the card successfully. This option adjusts formatted capacity to a multiple of capacity in a
cylinder.

OFF:
This option does not adjust the formatted capacity. Usually, this option should be selected.

ON:
This option adjusts the formatted capacity to a multiple of capacity in a cylinder. This option may
reduce the formatted capacity.
This option should be used by specific users who encountered a trouble with formatted capacity.

After searching all over the net and many failed attempts to format my 64GBsdXC it brought me to this thread. I have had this card in a netbook for 6 months but then I decided to use it as my media storage for my GALAXY S5. In the last week every time I tried to copy/add or erase delete any pictures or music card would look like it was done but files would return. Today I took it out and decided to manually move the media and that’s when I noticed that files just reappear after. So I decided to Format the card with it inserted into the SD card adapter to no avail.  And now here I have a card that is practically year old and now a dead weight. I guess I’ll just avoid purchasing SanDisk after all these years as a loyal customer. Such a disappointment. 

@thingamajig wrote:

And now here I have a card that is practically year old and now a dead weight. I guess I’ll just avoid purchasing SanDisk after all these years as a loyal customer. Such a disappointment. 

Or you could simply call SanDisk and have it replaced under warranty. :confounded:

It seems the ultra series of cards have a very high failure rate. When they fail, they go into read only mode so that the existing data can be retrieved when it fails. I would not suggest storing sensitive data on these cards.
Fortunately they come with a lifetime warranty from San disk. I just rma’d a 64GB ultra and they sent me an Extreme series. Hopefully more reliable.

One thing that irks me about this industry is that they get away with false advertising so openly. The 64GB card only has 59GB capacity. Without explanation I might be inclined to say it is a reserve for bits that go bad in the future but no. They have arbitrarily redefined 1GB to 10^9 instead of 2^30. I hope they next time the ceo of SanDisk goes to the grocery store and buys a dozen eggs the container will only have ten and the one pound steak will only be 10oz because the supermarket redefined what a dozen and a pound is.

@haveblue wrote:

One thing that irks me about this industry is that they get away with false advertising so openly. The 64GB card only has 59GB capacity. Without explanation I might be inclined to say it is a reserve for bits that go bad in the future

Here’s the explanation:

http://www.diyphotography.net/memory-cards-have-less-space-advertised-here-why/

And it’s NOT false advertising. And it’s NOT just SanDisk.

I tried the various methods to format my 64GB Micro SD card described here, but none worked on Windows XP, Vista, or Win7computers. Not using USB or SD card slots. Not using SD Formatter. I tried all combinations of FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. They all only detected a physical size under 32GB.  Typically 26.5GB

I then entered the 64GB Micro SD card into my digital Panasonic Lumix camera and it detected 58.5GB and formatted it using exFAT file system in seconds! 

I too have the same problem with Sandisk SDXC 64GB memory card like the post by MORTALLKOMBAT.

I’m sick with it now. It manifests strange problems…I take pictures and few minutes to few days later, the new pictures I took is gone. Or the pictures I took 99% of the images are grayed out. I got so angry, I formatted it using the phone formatter.

Happy thinking some inconsitencies cause the proboblems are gone after formatting…NOOOOOOOO!!! Pictures are gone again. I am in the last leg of my vacation. I took bunch of pictures and they are GONE!!! Only old pictures dates back 1/20/2015 are hanging around. Get this!!! AFTER FORMATTING, NEW PICTURES ARE GONE AND OLD PICTURES COME BACK!!! HOW IS THAT PISSIBLE!!!

I’ve been fighting this problem since 1/20/2015. Now 3/25/2015. I lost the pictures over 2 months worth. Vacation pictures/videos gone!!!

I also formatted the card using Win7 with USB connected. After restarting the phone, new pics gone and old pics come back.

The card is around 1/2 full. WTF SANDISK!!! Even if Sandisk replaces with new one, I’m afraid to have the same problem!!! You know???

I came here with the same problem. I bought two 64Gb Sandisk MicroSDXC cards with adapters. Firstly, the fit of the adapters is horrible, which is probably a big reason for the failure rate. I don’t have any devices that use the microchip directly, so I had no choice. It shouldn’t matter.

Neither of my Nikon cameras, a D5100 and a Coolpix S32 could read or format the card. My Mac Pro desktop could see the chip, but couldn’t format or write to it. It reported read only mode. I even tried an external 3rd part SDXC reader to see if that would make a difference. Nope.

I took the cards to work and tried on my 64bit Win7 machine. Nope, same thing. Tried on my iMac and got same problem.

Came here, and downloaded the SDFormatter - same problem - chips are read only. Couldn’t do a thing with them. I almost gave up. But then I remembered that my Macbook Pro laptop (from 2011) had an SD card reader built in. Can’t recall ever using it. Popped a card in a voila - it read the card and allowed me to format using the Apple Disk Utility.

After that, both cards now can be read and written to by both cameras. But, neither camera can format the cards.

It’s really weird. I don’t know that I can trust them.