CF Card failure - a bit different

I have the same problem. My Sandisk Extreme Pro is not recognized by my EOS 7D neither the computer…

1 Like

I’m furious because I’ve lost 3 cards so far. They are all Sandisk 32 Gig cards. I shot with one and the same day my computer won’t recognize the card. Then I put it in my camera and it says that I need to format the card. So I can’t get video clips off the card now. I was working for a client so this is not cool. I was told not to fill up the card by a guy working at Calumet in Boston. Don’t you allthink that Sandisk should be responsible for getting our data back? Any tips on making sure cards don’t fail would be much appreciated. 

3 X 32GB cards have failed on me also. 

All 3 are Extreme 60MB/s UDMA are all now Extremely 0MB/s

Good news is, it’s “only” $1000 down the toilet.

-CKeiser

1 Like

I’m in the same boat here, too.

32GB Extreme CF Card will not read or format in the camera or computer. Canon 7D, Windows 7 PC

Same here guys, I’m using Canon 5D mk II, 32GB.

I was looking info on the net when I found this forum, with this problem… Any one found how to solve this ??

It’s quite urgent since I have got a wedding to shoot this weekend.  

1 Like

Hi guys, 

I just wanted to give a short update of what I did.

I have put my card with an external card reader in the 3.0 USB port and waited at least 1 min, the adressbalk went green very slowly… Once completely green I clicked right mouse and waited again like 45 sec till popup showed up, then I have select format, again it took long till format tool opened. I deselected “fast formating” and clicked format, after like 10% the progress bar stopped. So I took out the memory card and re inserted it. This time it was quiete fast but still I couldn’t open the memory card. So I clicked again on format card and this time I did the “fast formating”, it took like 10 sec and their it was… my memory card showed up, I could open it and even my canon reconize it.

I don’t know if I got luck, if those steps has nothing to do with but it worked for and that what is important.

I wish you all good luck, I just saved up $ 300 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:  

I am new to the SanDisk forum, but I have a problem similar to this thread.  I notice that the last posting was in May 2012.  Does that mean there was a solution found to an Extreme Pro card not being recognized by camera or computer?  I have lost quite a few photos on such a card, and no one seem able to recover them.  Does SanDisk respond to these posts?

So bummed on scan disk. This is third time a card has become unresponsive and they offer zero solutions their wack ass product.

Never again…

1 Like

Can I join the club?

My second 32gb 60mb/s just failed on me. Mere seconds before this I had an image opened reading straight from the card. Just as I was about to back up, I suddenly have to format it … and it is said San Disk is the most reliable???

As another post stated earlier, I am not impressed that so many of us are having problems with SanDisk cards.  Is anyone from SanDisk noticing these reports?  Is the company prepared to respond or help in any way?

Yeah I got one too the ultra mobile  (from my other post) from Amazon.com. It never worked out of the package. I tried another sandisk from the local Wal Mart today (the only big local store) and it also has the same problems. I returned it as defective after I got no further than my car in the parking lot. Since Sandisk seems slow to respond  I will  return the Amazon.Com purchase though the vendor. 

I exchanged it for a Wintec brand card at Wal  Mart and it worked better than stated specs for a lower price. I think the time for me to trust the Sandisk brand is over.

Hi folks,

Just discovered this thread too…   this just happened to me at the weekend also. Thankfully  not a lot of data lost.

I will try the suggestions here, but wanted to know if it doesn’t work, are the cards knackered?  i.e… Completely useless, and we need to fork out more for new cards?

If so, any suggestions on brands - seems to me if SanDisk aren’t willing to address the issues, I am not prepared to give them any more of my hard earned cash.

Thanks

If defective, SanDisk will replace the cards if under warranty.

I want to get the photos off my card, you can’t replace my 1 week of holiday photos

I endured a very painful experience for my Ultra 8G CF cards in the past few months too. As a heavy user of my Canon 7D, I owned more than 10 pcs of the Sandisk CF cards including Extreme and Ultra series. Each shot activity I will use around 7 pcs or more of them usually. For the concerns to lose all the photos for any single physical failure in a card, I tried not to use any memory cards with size larger than 8GB.  My photo-taking operation is very simple, only one camera but two Lens; no CF cards change unless its space used up; and only one PC with windows 7 and an USB 3.0 card reader for photos download, that all. The photo taking is always no issues at all, but the download is quite unreliable. More than five times in 2013, one of the cards among the 7 pcs which I used cannot be detected or read from my PC after downloading around one-thirds of photos. However the remaining CF cards are readable even after the faulty card case.  This faulty card is end-up with a return for new replacement because I cannot reformat it or work with my camera afterward. Just wonder what’s the root cause of the issues and how can I do if that’s my fault.

Hello!

First: Im from Norway, and my english are awful! Then: Why are you taking your card out of the camera, instead of using the cabel who followed the camera? I had a EOS 50D, using Kingston 600x cards, and using cabel to transfer picture over to my computer. After that I always formatt my cards in the camera, and I have had no problems with my cards. The only problems I have had was when I tried 600x cards from Trancend, who never manage to transfer picture directly from camera to the computer. Canon said the problem had to be the compability between the card and the camera. Why I ask if you tried using the cabel for transferring data, is that Im planning to buy one or two cards from SanDisc, but I didn`t like what I saw on this pages. Maybe I after all should stay with my cards from Kingston, and be happy with that?

Just got a new Extreme 32 San Disk.  Camera (G15 Canon) recognizes card.  Shot video and stills and iphoto doesn’t recognize the thing.  It recognizes my old 2 gb Kingston just fine but not this thing.  Insert the card in reader, plug it into usb, zip, nothing, nada.  Luckily, what I shot were tests but I did format the card with the same result.  

Replying to myself but here it is.  Got a new reader, a Case Logic 55 in 1 reader/writer.  The Extreme San Disk works with this, for me.  Iphoto recognized the card through this reader but not the old jump drive I have been using.  Downloaded images fine.

I recently, about a week ago, purchased a SanDisk Ultra 4 GB card. the photos I took today are recorded on the card but when I try to transfer them via card reader to my pc, on Picasa/MyPhoto Gallery, they are not recognized. I do not have the cable to transfer them directly from the camera, therefr, am unable to access them.  I used the same setup to transfer photos yesterday from a different brand of card  and it worked perfectly!

Cards are not cheap and that is a poor example for their publicity! I always thought SanDisk was supposed to be a top brand!

Hey Everyone,
I just came across this forum while Googling for an answer. I don’t use SanDisk but Lexar Professional cards (16GB and 32GB). In the past year, I’ve had two cards go bad on me this way. One could not be reformatted at all, and had to be sent-in for warranty replacement. The second one was successfully reformatted, but in doing so, lost hundreds of photos from a recent client shoot, resulting in having me issue a full refund.

I just wanted everyone to know the issue isn’t exclusive to SanDisk.

However, I never experienced these issues with my 8GB cards, only 16/32GB. The cards work fine in camera. My camera takes the shots, records them, lets me view and zoom in. But the issue happens when I try to transfer the files (I use a USB 3.0 Lexar card reader on my iMac). It simply wouldn’t mount on two occasions in the past year. Upon pulling the card out (due to inactivity after a few minutes), my Mac would claim I did not eject the disk properly. Upon re-inserting the card, my Mac just claims the disk is not formatted. I then put the card back into the camera, but that too claims it isn’t formatted.

Something is happening when one tries to transfer the files using a card reader, and the computer somehow corrupts the file system.

Rare, but it does happen. Seemingly on both the PC and Mac.

My only option is to switch back to 8GB cards, which is a pity, because I’ve spent over $1000 on the twelve 16/32GB CF cards I use.