32gb Micro SDHC card is not detected by phone and unable to format in PC

Sadly, I’m having the same problem with the same 32 GB card.

Phone, Samsung Galaxy S2 by T-Mobile, Samsung SGH-T989 Hercules. 

Card, Sandisk  Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC I U1

My phone has been rooted with factory firmware, and also with a custom ROM.

I purchased the card from Micro Center ( a national retail electronics chain ) in Duluth, Ga between 4 and 6 months ago.

Last time I used the card, it worked. For about a week now, it’s been sitting in my pocket in the plastic case.

Today, I put the card in my phone, and got the card blank or unrecognized error. When I pull down the status bar, it gives me the option to format the card, but then doesn’t format the card.

When I plug the card into the adapter and put it either into the sd card slot in my laptop, or in the usb reader in my desktop, the card is unrecognized by windows explorer without a prompt for formatting. Formatting recognizes the card’s capacity as 31 mb, but is unable to complete the card. Formatting on the desktop has also given me the error a couple of times that the card is write protected even though write protection is disabled.

Attempted access on the computers is constant, access on the phone is only while the phone tries to mount the card.

While any device is trying to access the card, it gets incredibly HOT!

Fortunately, I haven’t lost any data because it’s stored on both of my computers.

I have Sandisk 16GB sdhc card that I have had for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever. 

sd insight Android app just installed on my phone recognizes the 32 gb as a 31 MB card manufactured in 2006 by Sandisk, I know this isn’t right. Just three weeks ago, I had in excess of 28 GB of data on the card. The 16 GB card is recognized correctly and is recognized as manufactured by Sandisk in January of 2012.

Somehow, the card has become corrupted. The SD format utility is of no help.