1gb microsd card making everything crash

I use it in my Sansa Clip+. Yesterday I had to reset my clip during a frozen moment of “refreshing your media…”

Now, when I put the card in the Clip+, or my phone, or a card reader, it makes my music software or Windows Explorer freeze and crash.

At first, I was just unable to load or delete music onto the card. Then I was able to format maybe twice, but still the old files appeared on there. Then successfully formatted with the card reader, card was empty. And now I can’t even access it. Afraid to put it back in the clip. Also afraid to try my 4gb in the clip.

I know, only 1gb, who cares. But I was considering buying a 16gb, and I don’t wanna ruin that, too.

Sounds like a bad card already…

yeh, i’m just worried my Sansa Clip+ will damage another card.

I guess I could have removed the card when I shouldn’t have. But the thing freezes sometimes – infrequently, but enough to make it a problem.

@chhodgkins wrote:

yeh, i’m just worried my Sansa Clip+ will damage another card.

I guess I could have removed the card when I shouldn’t have. But the thing freezes sometimes – infrequently, but enough to make it a problem.

You’ve got to get at the cause of the freezing problems, not just treat the symptoms. Over 90% of the time, freezing durring database refreshing is caused by either a.) bad, incomplete or wrong format ID3 tags in the song files, or b.) corrupted audio files themselves.

Check the ID3 tags with MP3Tag. Run ChkDsk or Error-Checking with Windows for look for and/or fix corrupted files.

“I guess I could have removed the card when I shouldn’t have”

Don’t insert or remove a card in the Clip+ while the power is on. I suggest that you get rid of this old card and buy a new 4GB or larger card. Some places sell 4GB micro SDHC cards for under $10. Cards wear out or become defective after a while. Hopefully they last for a few years before becoming defective. 

I will run Chkdsk on the card from a card reader, and see what happens. (my guess - nothing, freezing). The card should be empty now.

So then I’ll throw away the 1gb card and try my other 1gb or my 4gb.

QUESTION:

If I did take the card out of my Sansa Clip+ while the power was on, I understand it might ruin the card, but would it also damage the Clip+ player as well? Would anyone expect the next card I put in the clip to be damaged under normal use?

Thanks.

No help here!  I have encountered the same problems using an 8GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo with my camara.  How using it causes Internet Explorer to freeze is surprising.  However, I found that Sam’s Club Photo Process Center had no problem with it whatsoever.  Also, my PC slot processed a 1GB identical card with no problems.  So, the 8GB is damaged somewhat but not enough that it can’t be processed by some readers. 

There is an online advertisement for a “card recovery” program that claims it can fix these damaged cards.  If that is the case, one would think that SanDisk would make that available to its customers.

Sorry I couldn’t help.

Formatting an SD or SDHC card(full sized or micro)  with this card formatting utility can revive some dead cards. Of course it will delete all the data on the card though.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/