(anon)
Accepted Solution

Formatting SD Card without deleting pics

My SD card is asking me to format but also says formatting will delete all pics.How do I retrieve those pics without deleting?I really want those pics :mansad:
(anon)

Re: Formatting SD Card without deleting pics

Depending on how the card is formatted, the pics will not be really erased and can be recovered. 

But, before you do this, what is the capacity of the card, what operating system are you using, and are you using a card reader or hooking the camera directly to the computer?

(anon)

The card is a 64MB by SanDisk.The operating system is windows XP Home...
(anon)

Also,using a card reader and the camera hooked to pc.Not working either way,just asking to format.
(anon)

How do you reformat without losing pics?  I have a 1 GB card with about 150 pics on it that that I really don't want to lose.  The computer and Cannon camera are both telling me disk is not formatted.  Operating system is Windows XP.

Thanks.

(anon)

you can not format with out erasing the pics. if the computer is telling you you need to format it means the file allocation table is corrupt or missing. the only way to gain access to the card will be to format it. if format completes successfully then you can likely recover the pictures using a data recovery program like rescue pro or pc inspector. there are literally tons of data recovery apps available so just find one you like and give it a try. if format does not complete then the card is dead. if you need the data off of a dead card you will need to send it to a company that provides data recovery services. 
(anon)

You can try to check if you can still recover files by using a demo version of recovery software. You can check lc-tech.com. Demo versions will not allow you to save files.