8gb sdhc shows 31mb in hc format

My Sandsik 8GB sdhc shows 31MB in HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I use the Sandisk Extreme usb 2.0 card reader.

May the card be broken?

Re: 8gb sdhc shows 31mb in hc format

Did it work fine before? Do you have any other card that is working fine? Try to format it using camera and computer and if same thing happen you can contact Sandisk hotline, if your card doesnt have any physical damaged they can replace it. :smileywink:

Is the card showing total space of 31 MB.Is the card showing full capacity on the host device like camera or phone?Did u check if any other SDHC card is working on this reader?

Sadly I don't have any other sdhc cards, but normal cards work fine in the reader. I bought this card used and want to use it on my girlfriends TV. So I don't have no other way to format it. Just an old Notebook but it shows 23,8 GB and of course won't format it.

Try to use the card on a SDHC compatible device .this would define SDHC http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54/kw/sdhc/r_id/101834 .Same logic applies to the card reader the card reader may not support SDHC cards.You can also get the card tested at the store to isolate the issue.

If the card shows 31MB on format tool... this might only be a 32MB transflash card. When did you purchased the card?

I bought it second hand this week. I noticed that the reader should be able to use this card because sdhc is written on the front.

If it would be 32 MB it should formated but formating is aborded with an error message. I guess it is broken. 

Did you see it as 8GB previously? Or after you got it its already 31MB?

They might have just swapped its label with an 8GB SDHC since it was not sealed on its packaging and no format would ressolve that.

I tried different SD Readers today (on a new Dell machine and on it's display with SD Slots) and I get different results. I rememer the monitor showed it in format tool of windows with 1,3 terrabyte.

I emaild the seller today and he said he format it once in the 60D Nikon and finaly in the 90D and that he had no problems.

What I noticed is that when I start my PC it is asking for drivers but can't find it. An SD 128 MB works well in the "Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0" cardreader. Now I tried finding some drivers on the Sandisk homepage but I can't find one with that name. Tried some that would more or less fit but it did not help. But the dialog at booting disappeard.

On the downside of the reader I found:

Model Number: SDDRx3-3IN1

Part Number: 20-90-03051

And the number in bigger digits: 3076630

Is it possible to destroy the SD by trying to format it in different size with the wrong reader? I tried to format even when those different sizes showed but it was allways aborded by an error.

Or may the reader be broken? It is getting quite hot after having it connected for a while. 

My SD 128MB still works fine here with writing or reading it.

This might help as well as the the links found under Related answers (If you need to find compatible readers):

Memory card formats supported by the Extreme 2.0 USB Reader (SDDRX3-3in1)

Your readers does not support SDHC as well as that other Dell you used that only say SD on the slots. This article would best describe the cause of the issue:

Computer (with internal card reader) or digital camera fails to read 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB SDHC ca...