Want Gapless Playback? Register Your Interest Here!

Register Your Interest Here: Gapless playback in the next firmware upgrade.

I am almost blown away by the Fuze! It has a good user interface, is among the most compact player on the market, has massive battery life, is expandable with micro SD cards, and has a very wide support of audio formats.

The only thing which is holding the Fuze back from being on top IMO is gapless playback, if the fuze had this feature it would stop me even bothering to look up how the progress is going with the Rockbox port. In my eyes gapless playback is the only thing missing from the Fuze.

I want it… do you?

Post here and show the developers how much we want it.

Message Edited by 2stepsteve on 06-21-2009 04:52 PM

We were supposed to have gapless on the last firmware update. I still want gapless!

Yes, it would be nice … but, I still have a 6(?) years old working Rio Karma (flac/gapless/blah … blah) … so you would think it could be done by now …

Yes, I agree. Its the only major item on my wish list.

I listen to a lot of live concerts. Gaps are very annoying. Please come up with gapless playback at least for FLAC and other inherently gapless formats.

I agree, gapless is the only thing missing from this player. I know it cant be easy but to provide gapless playback with all formats but from what I understand gapless playback with LAME encoded mp3’s should be possible? That’s all I really want.

Absolutely I want it to be gapless. I listen to a lot of live music, classical music, and mixes I’ve created myself, plus classic albums like “Abbey Road”, “Tommy”, and “Dark Side Of The Moon”, and gaps ruin the experience. Why is this still an issue anyway?

Message Edited by qualityaudio on 06-22-2009 11:56 AM

x2 on Rio Karma, and x? on YES! I want gapless!

Would make my new favorite player my new AWESOME favorite player!

I could care less, and I don’t think it’s possible on this hardware (not enough RAM). I would be far more than happy if by gapless you meant “getting rid of any and all clicks and nosies and gaps between tracks so they play as if in a decent CD player as they were mastered by the artist”.

This is so far down on my wishlist though…

If it’s possible on a 7yr old Rio Karma it most certainly should be possible on a 2 yr old Fuze.

Not to mention Crossfading, OTF playlisting…

The Karma was really ahead of it’s time. 6-7 yrs old and still holds its own today. Mine still works but I don’t use it much. Beat to hell, wheel broken, but damnit! Still holds a charge and works just fine!

It would be a nice addition, however, Linux/KDE desktop users can use Konqueror to read a CD as one mighty ogg or mp3 file, then use something like audacity to split those tracks where there ARE gaps. You can rip individual tracks as well then discard what you don’t need afterwards.

So for example, an album like “Ogdens Nut Gone Flake” by Small Faces, I have the following oggs:

Ogdens Nut Gone Flake

Afterglow / Long Agos and Worlds Apart as one track

Rene (there is a short gap before this on the album anyway and the gap on the Fuze is short, too.)

Song of a Baker

Lazy Sunday

Then all the Happiness Stan tracks up to Happy Days Toytown as one track.

Similarly with Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, I just split it “the mighty ogg” into 2 tracks representing side 1 and side 2 of the original vinyl album.

but yes it would be a good idea. Hope it can be done for ogg as that is a slightly more efficient compression system than mp3, and its distortion is less audilble than mp3.

Gapless would make it perfect (although I would love to be able to save the go list)

Who in their right mind would NOT want gapless playback  :)

A smiley from sansafix? Interesting.

So when is the next firmware due?

Yes, please. Gapless is the one thing needed to make this the perfect player.

@scarista wrote:
Yes, please. Gapless is the one thing needed to make this the perfect player.

I’d kinda like to see a dedicated volume, like the Clip, too.:wink:

Gapless playback:  yes please

I want my playless gap back too.

µsansa

Ehhh…Gapless isn’t a big deal for me.  I restore and edit music for a living and it’s quite easy for me to make the small transititions between tracks; even on seamless pieces, non-problematic.

@davecs wrote:

It would be a nice addition, however, Linux/KDE desktop users can use Konqueror to read a CD as one mighty ogg or mp3 file, then use something like audacity to split those tracks where there ARE gaps. You can rip individual tracks as well then discard what you don’t need afterwards.

If you don’t mind having weird rips, theres also the --nogap option in lame, which will allow MP3s to be played gaplessly on any MP3 player.  But be warned, it tends to make track boundaries a little bit odd, since it stitches the end of one track with the start of the next in order to ensure that each “track” ends exactly on an MP3 frame boundary (and thus no gap need be inserted).  So if you skip to one track you might hear a bit of the previous track before the one you want begins.