Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 01.30.01

Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more “computer savy” steps, described below.

SanDisk has just released  firmware version 01.30.01 for the Sansa Fuze+. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Windows Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Fuze in MSC or Auto Detect mode and follow the instructions below. 

MSC mode instructions:

• Turn on the Fuze+
  • Navigate to Settings  on the menu of the device itself 
  • Scroll down to and select USB Mode
  • Select MSC

Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 01.30.01 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)

Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Fuze+ before performing firmware update

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Fuze+ to your computer. 

• Extract the firmware.sb file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Fuze+. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Fuze+ and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Fuze+ on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >  “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.30.01"x".

Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 01.30.01 Release Notes

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below, as well as enhancements. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again to restart. 

Enhancements

• Added “play” icon in front of the current playing podcast
  • Added “play” icon in front of the current playing audible
  • Device will put files into podcasts and audiobooks based on their genres

Bugs Fixed

• Music and Podcast resume do not work correctly
  • Background image changed after adding or removing contents from device
  • Podcast goes into pause mode when tapping on “back” button to go into “now playing” screen
  • Fuze+ had problems playing back slotRadio cards: RB, Classical and Rock
  • Repeat song icon is incorrect
  • Device displayed ARTIST tag wrong for FLAC content
  • Device does not always recognize a microSD card

Known Issues

• Device sometimes disconnects and reconnects while connecting to PC
  • Device  does not record continuously
  • RDS info sometimes does not display correctly on device
  • Device lowers volume while turning volume up when PreGain is ON
  • Sluggish performance with full library
  • Resume does not work for .wma and .mp3 files tagged as audiobooks that show up under “audiobooks” in the main menu

Podcasts now resumes even after playing music but audiobooks will not.:cry:

I would suggest just putting them in the podcast folder for now. resume works for that.

Hmm, the question is does this resolve the responsiveness problem with my music library that I encountered with the last update that caused me to revert?

@keonyn wrote:

Hmm, the question is does this resolve the responsiveness problem with my music library that I encountered with the last update that caused me to revert?

Known Issues

• Device sometimes disconnects and reconnects while connecting to PC
  • Device  does not record continuously
  • RDS info sometimes does not display correctly on device
  • Device lowers volume while turning volume up when PreGain is ON
  • Sluggish performance with full library
  • Resume does not work for .wma and .mp3 files tagged as audiobooks that show up under “audiobooks” in the main menu

I’d say probably not.

Got an error on my Audiobooks “Media Unsupported” after updating the firmware. I had to reload the books for them to work.

I tried anyways and no, it doesn’t resolve the sluggishness. The weird thing is I don’t exactly have a full library, I still have 5GB free on my 16GB player and the 1.27 firmware works fine.

Sansa Updater did not work for me.  It installed fine, although it did not ask me where to install it or where/if I want icons, which was a little weird.  Then I tried to update, and it said “Update service not available.”  I watched the video; I read my manual; I uninstalled and reinstalled; nothing.

Installed firmware update manually and it seems to be working fine, this is what I planned to do in the first place, until the only place it seemed I would be able to download the Sansa Media Converter would be through the updater.

I googled for the SMC download, I looked through old forum threads and found only broken links, finally I downloaded the stupid updater so that I could download it through there.  SMC is not coming up on my Updater, which is useless and I plan to uninstall anyways.  It just should not be this hard to download a simple program.  Better yet, it would be great not to have to convert at all.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Fuze-Video-Requirements/td-p/187774

I saw that before, but I do not have an alternative media converter program.  I wanted to use SMC just to make things simple, hoping that it would convert everything exactly how it needs to be for my Fuze+. 

As much of a pain it is, I wouldn’t even recommend SMC to be honest.  For my Fuze, I used a program Video4Fuze, which was a third-party app that worked flawlessly for converting videos.  I am hoping for an updated version for the Fuze+.  I don’t understand why it is so difficult to install something that is required in order to put video on the player. 

I noticed after the firmware update, whenever I charge it or add new songs and disconnect, it will say “loading” and then it will freeze and go black. Then I have to reset it. Has anyone had this issue? It’s really annoying. 

Gee - woulda been nice if the updater reminded me to remove my memory card BEFORE I updated.  Not going to make that mistake again.  

@msmusicmaker wrote:

I noticed after the firmware update, whenever I charge it or add new songs and disconnect, it will say “loading” and then it will freeze and go black. Then I have to reset it. Has anyone had this issue? It’s really annoying. 

It didn’t freeze, the backlight shut off while it’s still loading; touch controls won’t respond until it’s finished.  If you can afford to wait and watch it for 10 or 20 mintues you’ll eventually see the main screen come up (but navigation through any moderate sized library will be slow as hell).

I have complained about this previously, as it clearly tied to their known issue of problems with the Fuze+ managing library size.  It wouldn’t be completely horrible if the backlight would at least stay on so the user would know it’s still working.  Until these issues are fixed, my recommendation is to re-format the internal memory and install no updates.  At least the Fuze+ will be workable in how it handles the database.

And if Sansa developers and admins don’t like me giving that advice, tough.  You shouldn’t have put out a product this buggy so close to the holiday season.  A sect of consumers may love Sansa products but don’t overestimate your importance to them.  Consumer loyalties are pretty thin (unless they’re with Apple).

I sure hope the resume on audiobooks gets fixed - that was the one main feature that made the Fuze stand out from the rest.

I love that the update adds the ability to delete a song!!!  Nice job.

Now, how about the ability to browse my own FOLDERS, instead of all this artist, album, genre, etc grouping?!   I HATE all those.  I want to plug it in my computer USB, drag my own folders on to it, and then unpluyg it and browse my own folders.  No sorting and presenting my files to me like I somehow need the help.  I’m a big boy.  I can do it myself.  if you do that then you will have my vote on this thing being as good as the last model (which was almost the best mp3 player ever.)

Then after that: let me set the level of compression i have on my recordings.  Usually i only want 32 or 64kbs.  Once in a while 128.  Otherwise the files are way too big now just for normal talking.

32kbps??  64kbps??  Not much of an audiophile are you?  

do you really need more than 32 or 64 for a voice recording? i think that is what he is referring to. 

I picked up the reference in the same way, the voice recordings are PCM WAV files.  It would be nice if the device recorded in a compressed format, but it’s 44.1kHz PCM.  Using wav follows the previous Sansas.

Regarding the database refresh cycle, I’d like to see the Sansa logo continue rotating as it progresses.  It can halt on the display, though the player is still working on the task.

Bookmarking for audiobooks / podcasts would be much better if the logic implemented for video is used.  Video bookmarks work perfectly, one for each file, with a resume option.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Indeed, I stand corrected. :dizzy_face: