FM Recordings still show up after deleting!

Hey guys,

I recorded some music using the fm record function on the fuze.And it did the job perfectly.Because the file size is very large in my recordings(WAV) i transfered the files to my pc and converted them into WMA format(MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller file size)and transfered the WMA files onto the music folder on the fuze,without putting them to my recordings folder.And they play perfectly.!!!But when i go to MUSIC>RECORDINGS>FM>the filenames still show up.I played the files but it just keeps on skipping to the next track and ultimately end of playback(PAUSE).I tried to delete the files using the player itself but when i delete them it starts playing and the files start playing and skipping and end of playback within a second!

I did not encounter this problem with previous f/w versions.I dont use an external card,just the internel memory(all my files vid’s pic’s are stored in the internal memory)

OOOOOOOOh and another problem.I have about 200 photos in my fuze transffered to my player using SMC.But when i go to SETTINGS>INFO it shows that i have 0 photos.The music number video number all are displayed correctly.This also didnt happen in previous f/w versions.

Please help!

SR 

Message Edited by SR-rox on 05-12-2009 07:36 AM

Guess i am the only one encountering this type of weird behaviour! :cry:

Please help!!

SR

Connect in MSC and delete mtable.sys, which is the index of what’s on the unit. That will force it to rebuild the database from scratch and should get rid of the false entries. It does not affect the files on the unit, only the indexing.

Thanks for the reply black-rectangle.i connected the fuze in msc and deleted the mtable.sys file and unplugged it.it said refreshing media and after the refreshing the filenames are still there.:cry:

PLS HELP!

thx,SR

@sr_rox wrote:

Thanks for the reply black-rectangle.i connected the fuze in msc and deleted the mtable.sys file and unplugged it.it said refreshing media and after the refreshing the filenames are still there.:cry:

PLS HELP!

thx,SR

Did you try emptying theFM recordings folder with the computer while you were connected?

You mean deleting the whole fm recording folder?well i deleted the WAV files after putting them to my pc and converting them to WMA.What if i delete the whole folder called RECORD in the root menu of the fuze when connected to the pc?

@sr_rox wrote:
You mean deleting the whole fm recording folder?well i deleted the WAV files after putting them to my pc and converting them to WMA.What if i delete the whole folder called RECORD in the root menu of the fuze when connected to the pc?

If you deleted the WAV files then they shouldn’t showup in the FM folder on the PC…do they?

I’d like to confirm the reported issue. I have noticed this a few weeks ago and should add that it is evident for ALL recordings: both FM and voice.

The Fuze seems to have a special way of keeping track of recordings, which is different from other music files. It seems very much that the “Refreshing media” message does not apply for recordings. I should give some more examples:

• If you backup all your files from the Fuze, format the device (by itself), put all your files back, than the Fuze doesn’t see any of your recordings. This was in fact the first time I encountered the problem.

• If you move a recording off the Fuze it will still remember this but will just skip to the next one. If there is no recorded file at all it will skip through the list of formerly present files and the last one will be visible on the main playback screen. It will display a track duration of 0:00. If you put the file(s) back in place, then the next time you start the Fuze all recordings can be played back just fine.

• If you move the RECORD folder off the device, the Fuze still believes all files are there.

Finally, the ONLY way to keep the Fuze’s internal knowledge of recordings in sync with the presence of real files is to delete recordings on the Fuze by itself.

I think this should be addressed in a future firmware update.

I’ve had this exact problem in the past.  Deleted the mtable file or whatever it is.  Reboot.  No effect.

This is after deleting thr recording files directly from the Fuze itself.  Plus, it  does this thing where it keeps banging through all the ghost files on there, listing them one after another (of course it can’t play them because they are not there, and so it just instantly bumps to the next ghost file…)and then essentially locking up.  to me it’s a bug.  When I reported this a few months ago, no one else seemed to be having the same issue.  I never found a solution.  Recently my Fuze crashed with the “Free 90 gB” message.  I believe that Recording database issue is the root cause, although I cannot prove it.

These little things are pretty remarkable but they are not error-free, that’s for sure.

THanks ewelot.

that is the same problem im encountering.i did not have this previously untill i updated the firmware. 

@ewelot wrote:

I’d like to confirm the reported issue. I have noticed this a few weeks ago and should add that it is evident for ALL recordings: both FM and voice.

The Fuze seems to have a special way of keeping track of recordings, which is different from other music files. It seems very much that the “Refreshing media” message does not apply for recordings. I should give some more examples:

• If you backup all your files from the Fuze, format the device (by itself), put all your files back, than the Fuze doesn’t see any of your recordings. This was in fact the first time I encountered the problem.

• If you move a recording off the Fuze it will still remember this but will just skip to the next one. If there is no recorded file at all it will skip through the list of formerly present files and the last one will be visible on the main playback screen. It will display a track duration of 0:00. If you put the file(s) back in place, then the next time you start the Fuze all recordings can be played back just fine.

• If you move the RECORD folder off the device, the Fuze still believes all files are there.

Finally, the ONLY way to keep the Fuze’s internal knowledge of recordings in sync with the presence of real files is to delete recordings on the Fuze by itself.

Short addition about how to delete ghost files (@blackdog-sansa: I like your term!):

• on the PC create a file of exactly the same name as the ghost entry you can’t get rid on the Fuze, e.g. FM97_2-050709-205546.WAV in my case of a former FM recording. You don’t need any content in it, a file size of 0 byte will make it.

• connect your Fuze to the PC (I did it in MSC mode)

• copy/move this file to the Fuze, in my case into the RECORD/FM folder.

• disconnect the Fuze from your PC

• delete the ghost file entry on the Fuze

Now it works because of the presence of the faked WAV file!

I know, it is cumbersome and by no means acceptable handling but will save you from stronger measures like formatting the device.

Well, it appears that there are several issues with the upgrade to Revision 2.x.  I’ve been waiting for quite a while and now quite discouraged.  I thought patches would come quicker than this, if needed at all. :cry:

So, far I am on hold before I get the full use of what I paid for this unit.  I am forced to use some “work arounds” and wait for the others.

• Recordings list doesn’t update after deletes

• Videos stored on the internal memory cause the unit to freeze if the unit is shut down while on a video.

• Gaps between songs cause it to “jerk” rather than play smoothly through an album

• Photo count is inaccurate

I should have followed the general rule of thumb: always stay a version behind until all kinks are worked out of the current version.

For the last couple of firmware updates, they came out about every 4 to 5 months.  This doesn’t mean that another will be released in that time.  I’m hoping that there’ll be a bug fix only update next.  Without adding new features, it should take less time for another update.

What I would like to see if there’s another update is a beta version that’s released first.  Then those users that are interested in testing it out can let everyone and Sandisk know about any bugs or glitches they find. 

@ewelot wrote:

@ewelot wrote:

Short addition about how to delete ghost files (@blackdog-sansa: I like your term!):

• on the PC create a file of exactly the same name as the ghost entry you can’t get rid on the Fuze, e.g. FM97_2-050709-205546.WAV in my case of a former FM recording. You don’t need any content in it, a file size of 0 byte will make it.
  • connect your Fuze to the PC (I did it in MSC mode)
  • copy/move this file to the Fuze, in my case into the RECORD/FM folder.
  • disconnect the Fuze from your PC
  • delete the ghost file entry on the Fuze

Now it works because of the presence of the faked WAV file!

I know, it is cumbersome and by no means acceptable handling but will save you from stronger measures like formatting the device.

THIS WORKED!! I had deleted voice files while connected to computer - as everyone now knows they still showed on the sansa though they were empty!

First I tried to delete them on the Sansa - nothing - Then I went back in (MSC mode) and I deleted  mtable.sys - refreshed - rebooted - still the files where listed.

I found this thread - made the dummy files - put them in the voice folder - disconnected the player - and deleted them from the player - POOF they are now gone!  

Thank You!   :wink:

Ellie

Thanx for the reply, Ellie! Glad to know it worked for you … :smiley: