(anon)
Accepted Solution

Help determine quantity of pictures for San Disk Extreme III

Hello,

I am going to purchase a canon SD950 (12 megapixal camera) and I can't seem to figure out how many pictures a 2GB sandisk card will hold.  Can you help?

Thanks!

(anon)

Re: Help determine quantity of pictures for San Disk Extreme III

here is an approximate number of JPEG (compressed file) pictures. JPEG file sizes vary based upon camera model and internal file size and compression settings, as well as user-selected resolution and compression mode settings. In addition, JPEG compression will result in different file sizes based upon picture complexity. Some host devices may not support all of the Flash storage capacities listed. Consult your device's owner's manual for supported capacitities.
               2MP      3MP      4MP      5MP        6MP         8MP

128MB    149       113         95        74            60             40

256MB    298       226        180      149          119            79

512MB    595       452        381      298          238          159

1GB      1190      905         762      595          476          317

2 GB     2379     1808       1524    1190         952          635

4 GB     4758     3619       3046     2381       1905        1270

Even though there is no 12MP size listed, you can get an idea of how many pics you will get. For a more accurate answer, simply put the 2GB card in your 12MP camera! :smileyhappy:

(anon)

I think you should get 360 photos at 12 Megapixels, best quality setting.  I used info from Cannon's WebSite at;

P.S.

I use 2 Gigabyte SanDisk Extreme III SD Cards in my old Nikon Point & Shoot, it's the largest card it can handle because it uses an older file system than the SDHC cards require. 

P.S.S.

SanDisk has a rebate for Extreme III SD cards, I've seen them as cheap as $50 after rebate for a 4 Gigabyte Extreme III SDHC card with the MicroMate reader, even less if you buy 2 or 3 at the same time.  It works out to about what I paid for three 2 Gigabyte SanDisk Extreme III SD cards that are still going for the same price I paid for them. 
(anon)

4GB SDHC Extreme III for cheap??

Where have you seen the offer for 4GB SDHC w/ card readers for sale?  I'm searching around and I've not come across any.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
(anon)

Questions regarding San Disk 4 GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo with MagicGate and ESP

Greetings!  I have some basic questions, as I have never owned anything but an Olympus that took Smart Media Cards (circa 2001).

I am planning to buy a Sony H9/B (BLACK) camera and I am confused as to what the best SanDisk card would be, the next best and so on. 

(1) Am I correct in assuming the best would be a SanDisk 4 GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo card with Magic Gate and ESP? 

(2)  Would this SanDisk card require a Memory Stick Adaptor in order for it to be used in the Sony H9/B?  If so, what is the exact name and product # for the Adaptor?

(3)  Someone told me the Memory Stick Adaptor comes "in the box" with the 4 GB Extreme III.  Is this true?

Thank you for your help!

Dale
(anon)

Re: Questions regarding San Disk 4 GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo with MagicGate and ESP

I have learned a bit more about these cards, but with only one question:

Does the San Disk 4GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo perform about the same as the Sony 4 GB Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo?

If not, would someone kindly describe the differences?
(anon)

Hi rhenley,

I'm curious what you ended up buying for the SD 950IS?  I have the same camera.
(anon)

Re: Questions regarding San Disk 4 GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo with MagicGate and ESP

Dale wrote:
Greetings!  I have some basic questions, as I have never owned anything but an Olympus that took Smart Media Cards (circa 2001).

I am planning to buy a Sony H9/B (BLACK) camera and I am confused as to what the best SanDisk card would be, the next best and so on. 

(1) Am I correct in assuming the best would be a SanDisk 4 GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo card with Magic Gate and ESP? 

(2)  Would this SanDisk card require a Memory Stick Adaptor in order for it to be used in the Sony H9/B?  If so, what is the exact name and product # for the Adaptor?

(3)  Someone told me the Memory Stick Adaptor comes "in the box" with the 4 GB Extreme III.  Is this true?

Thank you for your help!

Dale

1) Yes
2) Haven't seen a sony camer take a full size memory stick in awhile now. So chances are no.
3)Older ones did, but not the newer memory cards.