Accepted Solution

Extreme III cards not working with USB 2.0 Extreme reader

Hi, I have two 2GB Extreme III SD cards for my DSLR camera. For reading them at my PC I have the USB 2.0 Extreme Reader. Strange thing is none of the cards are possible to read any longer. One of them i bought today and it didn't work so I tried my identical older one (which I have used before in this reader), and it didn't work either. Windows claims the cards are not formatted and their filesystem to be RAW. However, any attempts to format the cards fail (could not be completed).

In my ASUS laptop I have a built-in card reader, and there the cards are read perfectly well! I cannot understand how this is possible and have tried a number of things including re-installing the Extreme reader and so on. All to no avail.
Please help, this is getting frustrating. :smileysad:

Also, my Compact Flash (512 MB) and Memorystick PRO DUO (2 GB) and M2 (2 GB) work perfectly well with the reader. In my quest to solve this problem I have read about a utility called SMPREP, is this something that could help, and if so, where do I find it?

I just tried to format the cards in my laptop, which was no problem. However, when read in the Extreme Reader on my PC, they are still not recognized.

Message Edited by maedhros on 12-18-2007 07:49 PM

Re: Extreme III cards not working with USB 2.0 Extreme reader

since all SD cards fail in that reader i would have to say the issue is in the reader. it could have a bad SD interface. i would contact sandisk tech support and ask about RMA if the reader is still under warranty.

Re: Extreme III cards not working with USB 2.0 Extreme reader

Hi, I also have the same probleme with my sd card 4gb, i read it  in my laptop with the reader it cames with, but it´s impossible  when i try to transfer the photos to my desktop PC using the same USB reader. Ihave a extreme III 4 gb.

Thanks.