(anon)

Corrupt photos

I am getting photos that are corrupt. Not everyone but 1 out of every 20 or so. This has been going on for about 3 months and seems to be getting worse.

I format the card in the camera. I'm not sure it makes a difference wheather to do it on my computer or the camera, but I have been formatting with the camera.

Here is a sample of the photos. They all look like this.skydave1">

Any ideas what could be happening? It only happens on 1 card. The 2gb Extreme III is the one that keeps doing this. THe 1gb Ultra II does not have this problem.

Thanks,

Dave 

(anon)

Re: Corrupt photos

It sounds like a data speed problem

Id try an UltraII bigger card

sorry but sounds like the easiest way to sort your problem

Bea

(anon)

Bea wrote:

It sounds like a data speed problem

Id try an UltraII bigger card

sorry but sounds like the easiest way to sort your problem

Bea

It is NOT a data speed problem.  There is no such thing.
Assuming it really happens only on one card, it is more than likely a card that is beginning to fail.  I would contact SanDisk's tech support line and see about getting it replaced.  It is important to verify that it is only happening on one card, because it could also be the camera failing to write data properly.
Message Edited by fuzzy_logic on 03-31-2008 04:30 AM
Message Edited by fuzzy_logic on 03-31-2008 04:30 AM
(anon)

I had a fake card that did this before it failed
(anon)

I had intermittent problems with corrupted photos on my Lexar 133x CF cards.  Some readers could read the photos and the camera (Canon 5D) always could read and view them.  Yet when I tried to transfer the card's photos to my computer or to a portable standalone hard drive, as soon as a certain photo was read, the download process stopped with a corrupted image message.  Sometimes a Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 reader would also fail on the corrupted photos.  Yet as long as the images were transferred from the camera to the PC via USB, they always transferred successfully.

My ad-hoc theory is that the software drivers have widely varying error-handling abilities and some software works better than others.  

I tried reformatting and using Windows scandisk/checkdisk utility to no avail - they never found errors when writing and reading the card as if it were a hard drive from Windows Vista.  

Most curiously, after putting up with this for about a year or two, it suddenly stopped for no apparent reason.  I have had no corrupted images in at least a year, using this same camera.  Perhaps the camera was at fault and it simply quit writing corrupted photos.  

This problem is a very annoying problem, especially when I need to offload the photos to a portable hard drive while in the field and without access to a computer.

(anon)

Hello,

I have the same problem.... but still no explanation or solution....???

(anon)

I used my new 8 GB Extreme III card once w/o problems in my Digital Rebel. I just received my new 5D Mark II and added 250 photos using it, in addition to the 500 I'd shot on my Rebel.  The first 681 photos downloaded fine.  The last 69 shot on a different day from all others will not download using a card reader or through my Rebel, although they view on the LCD of both cameras.  I downloaded with the card reader to my CS3 Bridge.  The corrupted files each appeared as a blue box with a flower.  When downloading into my Canon software, the corrupted files showed as blank images with a large yellow question mark on each image.  SanDisk's tech support guy in the Phillippines suggested I buy recovery software from LC-Technology to save the RAW photos.  He suggested that I then reformat and stated that I should have no more problems with the card.  He also said they wouldn't replace it since it has proven to work correctly.  That is very expensive usage since I don't feel I can trust it.  I have numerous smaller SanDisk cards that I have not experienced problems with.  Do you think it could be the new camera? 
(anon)

I had a similar problem on my old PC. I thought it was my card, but now I have a new PC, I never have the problem and am using the same card. I even got this effect when transferring pics to another folder from an existing folder on my PC. This also has cleared up since I got my new PC. Very Strange?

Cheers,

Ron.:smileymad:

(anon)

Hi I'm experiencing this problem as well on my 2 gb Extreme iii card. Took couple of hundred photos last night for a club annual dinner and began to panic when it was corrupted. Glad to say though that the Recovery software that came with the Cd "RescuePro 3.2" has succesfully retrieved the photos and I have re-formatted the disc on my Camera (Canon 400d) and it appears fine.
(anon)

Sounds like "FRAGMENTATION."  RescuePRO normally does the trick.  I was referred to LC Technology by SanDisk and they explained why that happens.  You can call them at (727) 449-0891.  Hope that helps you.