(anon)

windows 98 driver

Can I use my 2gb micro cruzer on windows 98? How?
(anon)

Re: windows 98 driver

Depends on which version of the Cruzer Micro that you have. If you have SDCZ6 Cruzer Micro with U3 it is not supported on 98.
(anon)

We have the cruzer micro 2.0 GB -black color.
(anon)

the part number should be listed on one of the sides of the device. SDCZ6 is not supported on Win 98.
(anon)

I have SDCZ6-2048 so I guess that shuts out my windows 98. I'll revert to Mac OS-X.
Thanks
(anon)

Yeah....none of the black micros will work with win98.  There's a really old one before U3 that will. 
(anon)

Yes! You can use any black U3 Cruzer Micro drive on 98SE.

Put the Cruzer in an XP computer and remove the U3 crap. Then, go back to
your 98SE computer and follow the instructions in this link.

Worked perfectly for my black 4gb U3 Cruzer Micro.

Now, If I could figure out how to turn off the **bleep** night light when it is plugged in and not being used,
I would be a happy camper. Every other flash drive I have is smart enough to do that.

This is a SanDisk forum, isn't it. Why don't they monitor it.
Like M$, they must be relying on their customers to do their trouble shooting.

Message Edited by willie on 12-16-2007 01:11 PM
(anon)

willie wrote:
Yes! You can use any black U3 Cruzer Micro drive on 98SE.

Put the Cruzer in an XP computer and remove the U3 crap. Then, go back to
your 98SE computer and follow the instructions in this link.

Worked perfectly for my black 4gb U3 Cruzer Micro.

Now, If I could figure out how to turn off the **bleep** night light when it is plugged in and not being used,
I would be a happy camper. Every other flash drive I have is smart enough to do that.

This is a SanDisk forum, isn't it. Why don't they monitor it.
Like M$, they must be relying on their customers to do their trouble shooting.

Message Edited by willie on 12-16-2007 01:11 PM

1. I am glad that you got it working on 98se however sandisk is not going to support this as the device is not supported on that OS.

2. it is normall behavior for the LED to stay on when the device is connected.

3. from what i can tell sandisk does monitor this forum and the sansa forum. i do not see too many unanswered posts here so that should say something. additionally this is the point of a community, users answering users questions. 

(anon)

yes you can use in 98se but without U3 crap,  after do this is same like many more flash keys anyway no more U3 funcionality-my opinon
(anon)

Ok guys, this intrigued me as well, but the Z6 Cruzer Micros CAN be used in Win98 (SE) machines. This is about as straightforward as I can explain it.

1. Put the U3 Cruser Z6 model in your XP machine and disable the U3 stuff. If you're going to use it in Win98 you can use U3 anyway and it takes up about 100MB of space on the Cruser Micro, so get rid of it. Then DELETE everything off the stick except for the the empty placeholder directories.

2. Make sure you have the SNDKW98.INF file in your C:\Windows\INF directory, and put it in another directory too, like C:\Drivers.

3. Put the cleaned out stick in the Win 98 SE machine, let it do its new hardware thing. When you get to the can't find a driver, select use a driver that you specify (or whatever the wording is).

4. Select from the Hard disk controller section, select Sandisk and then the Cruzer Mini/Micro option and select the SNDKW98.INF file from the \Windows\Inf directory (or the other one if for some eeason winblows doesn't want to let you select the \windows\inf directory.

5. Ignore the waring that the driver was not written for the device.

6. It;l finish. I can't remember if you have to reboot.

You will now have the stick only taking up ONE drive letter (no phantom CD drvice for he U3 garbage).

It workd fine for the 2GB sticks, it should work for the 4GB sticks, but I woundn't try it with the so called High capacity sticks (or am i confusing that with the high capacity SD camera memory cards???).

Let me know how you do.

If you flub it up like I did, for instance you tried installing it before clearing out the US stuff and deleting it).

put it in an xp machine and disable then delete the US stuff.

put it back in your Win98SE machine, go into control panel - system - device manager, select it under Hard Disk controllers - it should be easy to spot. select remove it. I didn't even have to take it out and re-insert it, winblows immediatly started its found new hardware routine. and i proceeded from step 4 above.

Good luck and tell us how it went.  I'm going to see if i have to repeat the entire process with another identical stick (I bought a 3-pack red white and blue) 2GBs each.

-Mike