Accepted Solution

will not eject

I have a titanium 2GB cruser

windowns XP SP2 OS

I have 2 problems so far.  I pluged it into my home computer and it worked fine, until I tried to eject it.  I finally logged out and pulled the drive out, because I had to leave the house. but the got the same error described below.

I'm at work now and it didn't work in the front USB port but does work in the back port.  It loaded the U3 stuff on it and when I went to explore the (in my case F) drive, it opened Explore but went to "My Computer", if I press the back button, it will show the Thumb Drive, and I have to open a file on the USB thumb Drive before it will show it on the folder menu, but it will not show the F: drive letter on the file menu. bar but does on the title bar.

and I'm also haveing trouble ejecting the USB Thumb drive, i get the following error

An error has occured while attempting to eject the U3 smart Drive.  Please check for any open doc. or programs running on the device and try again later.

The only thing I think is running is the LaunchPad.exe, and I see this in the tast manager window
nothing else is open.

can anyone help me out?

Re: will not eject

I've had this issue once or twice , i had one of the U3 apps (open office) running I closed it and boom able to eject

as for the other issue is this on all computers?

Are you ejecting the drive from the U3 Launchpad application?

I'm getting the same error message while trying to eject my SanDisk 4GB Cruzer drive using the LaunchPad utility - "An error occurred while atempting to eject the U3 smart drive. Please check for any open documents or programs running on the device and try again later." I'm pretty sure I don't have any programs open. I closed all running programs on my machine, including ones I didn't even open any Flash drive file in.

Also - I didn't have this problem when I first bought this drive, about 10 months back. This is happening after I recently upgraded the LaunchPad software. I also installed a couple of U3 programs on the drive, I can't remember if any of them triggered this behavior.

When I get this error mesage I just pull out the drive from the USB socket, which also causes the LaunchPad ssytem tray software to terminate... which is fine, and doesn't (seem to) affect anything.. but I still wish I knew what was causing this. Thans for any help anyone can provide.

It can be one of two things.

First thing it could be is one of the new U3 apps you installed.  Before you eject it again, bring up the LaunchPad and see if any of the apps have a green triangle by it's icon.  That will tell you it is still running.

If none of them have a green triangle, the second thing it could be an application on your computer, scanning the drive.  This could be an anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-something software.  Basically, it could be a lot of things, and this will be harder to diagnose.

Ok. So if it is quite difficult to diagnose the error message because it could just be an anti-'something' program running on the computer, my question is, is there any harm that can come from removing the flash drive after you get the 'an error has occured while attempting to eject U3 smart drive'? Assuming we know there are no U3 programs still running.

I wonder if the error message is caused by the Cruzer On line backup service? Even considering the error message still occurs after pressing the stop button for the backup service it is still a program that is always running. No?

The problem is not necessary with the only back up service, it will take a minute and then allow the eject.  There is a nifty program call "who Lock Me" which identifies who is locking the drive, in my case most of the time it is explorer.exe, the program asks if you want to stop the process and after it kills explorer and restart it you can eject the drive normally.