Accepted Solution

how do I set a password for my Cruzer Micro 4GB?

I have a Cruzer Micro 4GB flash drive. When I first used it, a popup asked if I wanted to have U3 enabled or "just use it for storage" - I opted to just use it for storage, so I believe U3 is not enabled.

The package that this drive came in says "Security - one click password protected access control". Unfortunately, there is no manual or quick-start or any documentation at all telling how to use this feature.

I have tried some obvious stuff such as right-clicking the drive icon and looking through properties, etc but do not see any place to set a password for this drive. As this was one of the features that made my decision to buy this drive, I'd like to be able to use it!

So how do I set a password for this drive?

Re: how do I set a password for my Cruzer Micro 4GB?

You have to use the U3 LaunchPad to use the Security.

Double click on the U3 System drive, and that should start U3 (if not, then double click the Launch U3 icon), then you simply click on the Enable Security button. 

More specifically, you need to use U3 and then select the CruzerSync option

So, the 1st time you use the drive, open the flash drive, click on the Enable Security option and set your password. Then click on the CruzerSynch U3 edition to select the files that you want to synch (backup) and then run the synch. You need to select the files that will be synchronized with options to synch Outlook folders, contacts, files and/or IE bookmarks. Be sure to select the individual folders in My Documents else only the files in the root My Documents will be copied and none of the sub folders or files in the sub folders will be copied.

This synch function is a nice option compared to other forms of backups that re-copy everything. Also, the password protection of the backup docs is essential for a portable media device. It doesn't do much good if you password protect your PC but then save all of your files on media such as CD's that are not password protected.

Mark

Breezes from the Ether, Inc.

When I click on the LaunchU3 icon, only a folder pops out. It doesn't start U3. What else can I do? I'd really like to use the password protect feature. Thanks.

Once the folder pops up double click on the file that says launchu3.exe it would take you to the lauchpad there you can click on enable security

But it's an empty folder. Folder name is 3045010F42D0090C.

Manually launching U3 Launchpad

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶٩(͡๏̮̮̃๏)۶

I tried inserting the drive into other computers and it worked, so it must be a setting on my own computer that's stopping U3 from launching. Can you guys help me where to change the setting or something? Thanks for your help. :smileyhappy:

Can you tell us the path of the folder that opens in your computer when you launch u3, also are using a work computer, i mean the computer that you use is it on a corporate network.

I'm using a personal computer; not connected to any network.

The path that opens is C:\Documents and Settings\pgtreyes\Application Data\U3\3045010F42D0090C