(anon)

Re: computer does not recognize scandisk drive

I think these retractable "take a chance of losing your data" drives were a good idea, initially. Clearly, these drives have a nice design, but the retractable nature of the drive is inherently. I'm going back to the non-retractable drives!
(anon)

RoninV wrote:
I think these retractable "take a chance of losing your data" drives were a good idea, initially. Clearly, these drives have a nice design, but the retractable nature of the drive is inherently. I'm going back to the non-retractable drives!

I disagree.  I have 2 of these, and I abuse them.  And they work perfectly.  You are basing you decision on a handful of people who possibly got defective drives, even though there are millions of these drives made and are working perfectly.

(anon)

Bad me! You're right. I have three (512MB[non-retractable], 1G, 4G), but it's the 1G that is giving me the business. There are just times that I have to plug/unplugged it 3-4 times before the computer (any computer) recognizes it's existence. Though the price was way reasonable, I'm always left, wondering when/where it will finally fail, making the data (encrpyted) unattainable. They make great IT toolkits, but do I really want to carry around two of them, just in case one fails.
(anon)

Everyone, same happened to me! I have a 4GB Cruzer U3 and my computers just stopped recognizing it. Will not work on any PC (tried 3 others with Vista, XP and NT2000Pro). The orange light flashes on for a second on the way in, but then goes out when fully inserted. I have tried wiggling it around halfway in/out to see if I can get it to keep the orange light on, but hat doesn't work.

Withour recognizing the unit, none of the driver tools can be used (driver update or drive uninstall tool). You get a message to insert the device...which of course is the problem! The PC won't recognize it.

Looking at the device manager I see that it says it's an unknown device without a driver. Seems to be a vicious circle. Very frustrating. How did you manage to have that back??

Thanks.

(anon)

Has any of you tried your 'System Restore' feature in win.?  I had to use it after trying to download a program that wouldn't complete itself, but screwed up stuff so winXP didn't recognize them.  It was a last ditch effort, and I knew I hadn't changed anything knowingly, I couldn't say the same for that program.  I just went in and looked for the latest version saved before the problem started, selected it and bonus - it was all perfect.

If your flashdrives still work on other computers, then its obvious isn't it.(???)

P.S..  This also works if your flash has stolen your cd-rom drive letter and you need it back. (After other steps to reassign the flash i.e.. sandisk support)

(anon)

Re: computer does not recognize sandisk drive

I see this thread is about a year and a half old, but is anyone out there still having this problem?  I have 2 8g sandisk cruzers formatted to fat32.  one i've had for over a year and have used primarily on my mac for graphic design projects and the other is about 6 months old which i've used mainly for excel worksheets and access databases on my work pc.

the 6 month old 8g is currently plugged into my dell laptop (work pc) and the computer will not recognize it...worked fine 3 days ago and now no matter which of the 4 usb ports i try, i can't access it.

The bizarre thing is, if i click on the removable device icon in the desk tray,  it shows up as the usual "USB mass storage device" but does not designate a drive location (h: ) or (f: ) etc which is why i can't access it.  So i plugged it into my mac and it was fine, able to be accessed, files able to be opened, but when i once again tried to move it back to my pc, it failed to recognize again.

does anyone out there have a solution for this? 1866sandisk is currently closed.

thanks for helping out a newb!

(anon)

Re: computer does not recognize sandisk drive

I have had Cruzer Micro 2 GB with U3 for more than a year now. Suddenly two days ago my laptop stopped recognizing the device altogether. It doesn't appear as a drive in My Computer window. I have important data in it, but cant find a way to restore or access it anyhow. I work on Vista. One thing more, I had U3 software installed on my PC but not on my laptop, but it is not getting recognized on either. I started to follow instructions in one of the threads to install U3 but, again the same as stated there, the device is not recognized so cant proceed any further. Please, some help is desperately needed. Very much appreciated. Thank You.

(anon)

Re: computer does not recognize scandisk drive WOULDN'T WORK WHEN PRINTER WAS ON.

I have a Cruzer Micro 8GB flash drive and was having recognizition problems.  Here's what I found. 
My responds to SanDisk Technical Support.

Please provide the following information to isolate the issue and to assist you better:

- Is the drive not being recognized at all or do you get any error message?
NO ERROR MESSAGES.  IT'S SHOWS UP IN THE SAFETY REMOVE HARDWARE WINDOW AS A DEVISE BUT DATA STORED ON THE DRIVE WAS ACCESSIBLE.

- Did this drive ever work on your computer?  INTERMITTENTLY.  MAYBE I DIDN'T HAVE THE PRINTER ON THOSE TIMES???.

- Is the flash drive working on any other computer? YES  HOWEVER, NOT TESTED IF A PRINTER IS ON.

- Does the LED (light) on the drive turn on?  YES, STUDY GLOW ONLY WHEN NOT WORKING.

- What is the operating system of the computer that you use? XP PRO.  USING A DELL 400SC SERVER AS A DESKTOP AND A 6' CABLE EXTENSION.  BY ACCIDENT, I MAY HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM.  WHEN THE HP LASERJET 3052 PRINTER IS ON BEFORE INSERTING THE FLASH DRIVE IT WILL NOT CONNECT.  TURN THE PRINTER OFF AND THE COMPUTER RECOGNIZES THE FLASH DRIVE RIGHT AWAY.  I'VE READ OTHERS HAVE NOTED USB PORT POWER POSSIBLITIES.  I TRIED DIRECT CONNECTION TO THE CONPUTER PORT BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.  PRITNER MAY HAVE BEEN ON, DON'T KNOW????