(anon)

Using Cruzer as a boot drive

I purchased a Cruzer U3, 4Gb drive with the intention of installing HP's software (cp006049.exe) that would make the drive "bootable." I wanted to copy a Norton Ghost 2003 boot floppy to it to save an initial install of Windows XP so I don't have to reactivate it when I reinstall.

Well, when prompted by the install program if I wanted the drive/key formatted as a floppy or a hard drive I chose floppy - yes, you get a choice. Now since Windows won't boot to the flashdrive I want to reformat the flashdrive as a hard drive. However when attempting to reinstall the HP program, I did not get an opportunity to choose to format either/or.

Consequently, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to go about it?

TIA.

(anon)

Re: Using Cruzer as a boot drive

google hp disk storage format tool. it will do both things you want to do. if you want a bootable device also google bart pe. it has lots of tools you can use and there are full instructions available if you are willing to do a little searching.
(anon)

Hello Everybody, thanks for your wonderful work in solving our poor peoples' troubles.

I think I have a similar request to decombs21.

I would like to have my cruzer micro 8 gb with U3 as a Bootable Pen Drive.

I already create it using the program "universal customizer" and now the CDRom partition, to where I put the XP iso cd files, is perfectly booting and gives me the opportunity to install XP from it.

The point is that I loose all the U3 functions and programs as the U3launcher doesn't run programs but just opens the CDRom partition of the Drive pen showing me all its files.

Is there a possibility to re-install all U3 programs and getting back the function of U3launcher when you isert the pen drive in a usb port without having to reformat everything? I tryied with "LPInstaller" but it asks to format the drive pen making it again not bootable.

I hope i've been clear enough to make myself understandable. Thank you very much for a help.

(anon)

as a follow-up for drlucky's suggestion.

You can use the HP usb formatting tool but you need copies of a bootable disk's files. You can experiment using the windows 98 bootable floppy disk. Same principle if you will boot other installers.