(anon)
Accepted Solution

U3 PASSWORD FAIL!!!

I have used my Sandisk 16GB cruiser 3 times since I purchased it a few months back to store and update vital office data. I usually back up on a secondary device but this one time i got delayed and didn't update the second lot of data. Now all of a sudden the password i enter via the U3 software on my cruiser keeps saying 'wrong password' even though this is the only password i have and the same one i have always used. I have 2 login attempts left and then I'm going to lose my data which is going to cost me big time! Any help?

Reading around the various forums and message boards (belatedly) it seems this problem is rife and Sandisk seem totally unbothered that they're selling faulty products and glitched software that is causing the loss of data to some of which is very important.

As well as getting someone to sort this mess out quickly,if i where them i'd get a **bleep** good lawyer!

(anon)

Re: U3 PASSWORD FAIL!!!

After looking around i found a few things on the unistalling of U3 from the drive using U3 uninstaller software and that during the process there is an option to backup data. If i used the inunstaller to remove U3 would this work and the data saved?

The only other option i can see is to use some sort of data restore or retrieval program.

Can anyone help or does the support here not even care?

Thanks

(anon)

so it looks like the drive may have failed. if it will not accept the password and you are sure you are typing it correctly (i would suggest typing it in notepad to make sure caps lock or something else is not enabled) then the drive has experienced a physical failure and will need to be replaced. to confirm if it has in fact failed you can use the forgot password option and erase the drive. if format fails then the drive has failed. if format does not fail then it will erase the drive and you know you were entering the wrong password. unfortunately either way the data is not recoverable since it is encrypted.  
(anon)

I am definately,definately putting in the right password,withoubt doubt. The hint for the password option does nothing. I can't believe that there is nothing that can be done,no recovery back-up or possible restore option of data,not even a reset of password,this is a joke of a security system and a total product failure from Sandisk!

I work in the i.t advertising trade dealing with hundreds of thousands of competitors annually and will do my utmost to let everyone know that Sandisk,cruzer drives and the U3 security system are not to be trusted and have no place in the market.

Pissed off,doesn't cover how i'm feeling right now!

(anon)

this is a consumer level device not an enterprise device. this is why there is not password reset. in order to have a password reset you will need either a server application that will manage the device, such as the Cruzer Enterprise devices, where an administrator can reset the password over a network or have a tool that bypasses the security and resets the password. having a tool that will bypass the security is a security risk. you can not say the device has security when all it would take is one leak of said tool and the security would be irrelevant. 

this is a risk you take when you decide you want to secure your data. encryption and password are great to secure your data but if the device fails the data is not recoverable, it is however still secure as no one will be able to recover the data including yourself.

this is why backups are so important. while it is rare for a failure to occur, as with any electronic device some failures will occur usually in the first few uses or months of use. this is just a fact of the electronic age. if this is the first electronic device that has failed on you I can promise it will not be the last no matter who the manufacturer is.

(anon)

Whatever you say this devise failed. It's amazing how the constant answer to this from Sandisk is 'tough luck'. That's not good enough,i don't buy a product like this to last just two months,that's an absolute joke and a total failure on Sandisk's front. U3 obviously has problems and judging by the amount of complaints on here and elsewhere it needs sorting. Through no fault of my own i have lost valuable data and so have lots of others with no solution and no improvement. No matter what you say and how you sugar coat it this is NOT acceptable.