Sandisk Cruzer Micro - Disk write protected

Hallo,

I have a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 0.4 1Gb. I can't write or delete data or even format it, as windows says it's write protected.

How can I fix it?

Thank you

Re: Sandisk Cruzer Micro - Disk write protected

When you plug the Cruzer into the pc do you see 2 drives, one a removable drive, the other a CD drive?

Hi Ed, thank you for your reply.

I just see the usual drive. One drive only. It seems always as usual, the only things I can't do are writing and formatting, so I can't even update files, of course. For XP it's just an external drive as any other pendrive, and so for drivers, I checked on system properties. I tried to check on windows' register and it seems OK too.And, on the other side, other pendrives work fine.

With a U3 pendrive there are 2 drives, one removable and one a CD drive. The CD drive controls access to the other drive.  If you don't have a CD drive then the pendrive has had U3 removed and the removable drive reformatted so something else is controlling access to the files.  What did you use to create the files?

Hi Ed,

I remember I just reformatted the drive several times, maybe once on a windows 98 machine, but usually on W2K or XP. I've always used the removal utility before removing the pendrive, except on Windows98, when I used to turn off the machine before removing the unit.

Do you think there's a way to restore factory default?

Thank you for your help.

Have a nice weekend,

Umberto

Sorry, maybe I'm not in the right section. My drive does not support U3. It's a SDCZ4-1024.

While that is a valid point, you didn't answer my question, what did you use to create the files initially?

And to insure you don't loose your files in any recovery/fix of the write problem I recommend you copy them all to a safe hd folder while you can still read them. 

Hi Ed,

thank you again.

Of course I already backed up my drive. A long time ago. I used it as a common drive, copying files using Windows Explorer or opening and updating files (sequential or random or .mdb) by an app of mine written in VB.

I'v never had troubles for a couple of years using this app. I thought it was solid as a rock (I mean the drive, not the app that still works fine after 4 years), but I was wrong and one day I received an error message and since then I've been unable to write, delete, modify data or reformat the unit. Of course I can even destroy this pendrive, it's old enough. Maybe something is broken in the controller circuit inside it. I just asked for sentimental reasons. I like this pendrive and all its coloured covers and I found it better than others I bought later.

Umberto

I was just wondering if you had used some type of security sw to write the files and that was the problem now.

As wires age they oxidize and if the USB disk hasn't been used in a while it's possible one or more of the USB contacts isn't contacting.  A gentle swipe of emory paper over the USB plug and socket wires may help.  And as crazy as that sounds I have a pc that has a USB port that stops working periodically, about once a year, and that is how I keep it going. 

Hi, Ed. Unfortunately I didn't use any security sw. I'll tried to clean the contacts with a fiberglass brush (much more thinner and cleaner than emory paper) but I had no luck. I think it's a trouble with internal controller. This pendrive was expensive when I bought it, but now it has no value. As I wrote it was just a sentimental value. I'll destroy it with a hammer as there are some confidential unremovable data on it.

I thank you so much for your patience and your help.

Thank you again,

Umberto