(anon)

Partitioning Cruzer drives

I have 8GB U3 Cruzer Titanium and 16GB Cruzer Contour drives, and I would like to split them into two (writable) partitions. Unfortunately, Windows is somewhat brain-dead about this, and won't let you partition drives it sees as removable. Previously I had another flash drive, where you could use an utility to change how it appeared to the OS - instead of looking as a removable drive, it appeared as a hard disk, which then allowed Windows to partition the drive.

Is there anything similar available for Cruzer drives? I'm not interested in changing the CD portion of the drive, I just want to have 2 writable partitions. While I could partition the drive in Linux, this doesn't help me with Windows, as weird things happen when it encounters partitioned removable device. There's also the Hitachi's cfadisk filter driver, but that again has to be installed on the OS first before it can be used.
(anon)

Re: Partitioning Cruzer drives

ender wrote:

While I could partition the drive in Linux, this doesn't help me with Windows, as weird things happen when it encounters partitioned removable device.

I am curious, what weird thing happens?  I have successfully done this using a Mac, and since both the MacOS and Linux are Unix clones, I don't see why doing it on Linux would be any different.  The only time something weird happened was when I tried to split it into 12 drives.  Windows did not like that. 

(anon)

I tried with 2 partitions, Windows would only let me access the second one, however the properties (in My Computer) would show the size and used space of the first one. I wonder what kind of brilliant mind thought that disallowing partitioning of removable devices would be a good idea (especially when the removable bit has nothing to do with the device actually being removable).
(anon)

ender wrote:
I wonder what kind of brilliant mind thought that disallowing partitioning of removable devices would be a good idea (especially when the removable bit has nothing to do with the device actually being removable).

Yeah, I have no idea the thinking behind Microsofts decision to do this.  It is still that way in Vista.  Kind of sad when every other major OS will partition to your hearts content, removable or fixed, the OS doesn't care.  Probably lazy coding on Microsoft's part.  Cost too much to change the code.

Anyway, I admit I have never tried it on Linux, so maybe there is some difference.