(anon)
Accepted Solution

Make a bootable flash drive?

I have tried several programs none of which worked, I need to make my SanDisk Cruser Micro with U3 a bootable drive.
I called Sandisk and they said Yes you can but that support line does not cover this process.
So can anyone give me any idea how to make my flashdrive bootable so I can work on a laptop the has a crashed hard dirve, and the cd/dvd/ although the platter spins does not read the disk.
The laptop is a dell inspiron 1200 that my son was messing with!
(anon)

Re: Make a bootable flash drive?

there are a few things you will have to do.

1. you will need to run a utility on the device to make it bootable. HP make one such utility called the HP disk storage format tool.
2. you will need to create an OS to install on the device. by default windows can not be install on removable media. for a OS that will install on removable media look into using linux or possibly Bart PE (a watered down version of XP) and Ultimate Boot disk.
(anon)

I did the HP format tool thats how I ended up with a drive K on Drive J, and bartpe but it would not run againbecause of the partition,
(anon)

I am having the same problem.  I need a boot disk for my laptop.  Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time. 

(anon)

Unpartition the drive by uninstalling u3 from u3.com/uninstall and then try the steps provided by Drlucky to use the drive as a bootable device.
(anon)

I have 2 Cruzers; one 1 GB, one 16GB, one is FAT, one is NTFS, one has U3 security set, one doesn't, both retain the U3 partition and both boot BartPE.  So no, you do not need to remove U3 to boot the sticks.

The tool I used to make them bootable is PEtoUSB, the original version for the 1 GB stick, the hacked Russian version for the 16 GB stick.

The one with the U3 password set does require the stick to be inserted into the machine's running Windows system to respond to the password before rebooting and booting from the stick.  If the machine is unable to run Windows then the U3 security needs to be disabled on another machine before booting it in the downed machine.

hth