Accepted Solution

Launchpad issues with SanDisk U3 Smart Cruzer micro 8 GB Drive (BIO708AIYB - SDCZ6-8192RB)

Launchpad never run when I insert the drive into my recently USB 2.0 PCI Controller Card from Encore with 4+1 USB 2.0 ports, although it always worked OK before with my older 1.1 USB ports... which I intend to avoid in order to take advantage of the newer 2.0 standard available and wanted to experience this speed's device. Both in MY DESKTOP AT HOME, while running Win XP Pro Corp. as an Administrator.

It worked OK in my job PC with much higher network security settings with original USB 2.0 ports, as well as almost every other computer I tried.

When I insert the U3 smart drive to the USB 2.0 port, the light does come on but the U3 icon never appeared in the system tray. Even though I can see the two drive letters associated with the U3 smart drive with Explorer, when I try to get any file it seems there is not any. I'm not even able to see the contents of the G Drive, although it is recognized as the U3 drive..., and by the way, this very Desktop (at my job where everything works fine) proves the trouble is only at home.

I´ve noticed at the Processes Tab in the Task Manager, that the LaunchU3.exe in the startup directory runs here at home...

I even uninstalled and reinstalled those 5 USB Hub drivers (although everyone of them works perfect with any other device), and also the Launchpad.

Of course, I've already read and went through all the U3 Launchpad Troubleshooting Wizard, checked the most common reasons for the U3 Launchpad failure to run (conflicts with application software, with hardware drivers, the MS OS bug commonly called the drive letter masking bug and the inadequate USB power supply).

Once at home, in the beginning almost a month ago, and with the security enabled, a blue triangle with an exclamation mark within, in the dialog message box, that never knew what it meant, never let me inside... In the end, I disabled the security protection (at my Job PC, because I can't "see" any file at home), just in case the Password dialog box might be the reason... It wasn´t also.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ? Tks in advance. Rgds, Carlos

I checked and have the latest launchpad version installed in my U3 drive (1 4 0 2 ?). Find more details below,
----------------------------------
Desktop hardware status report.
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. "GA 7ZX-1 R. 1.01"
L2 cache size 64 B - Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
Authentic AMD Duron(tm) 1 GHz - (cores) 1
RAM 383.48 MB
Video RAM 128 MB / NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200LE (Microsoft Corporation)
Windows version Windows XP (5.1.2600)
Regional settings Spanish Argentina
Windows language English United States
Last check for driver updates Mar 28 2008 5:17AM
Disk drive 3. Caption SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model: SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device
OnBoard devices - Description VIA Inc. / Device type Sound
Sound device - Name VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
9./10  Port type USB connectors / type Access.bus

Re: Launchpad issues with SanDisk U3 Smart Cruzer micro 8 GB Drive (BIO708AIYB - SDCZ6-8192RB)

So, the LaunchPad no longer automatically launches when you plug in the drive.  But will it launch when you double click on the U3 System disk in My Computer?

Re: Launchpad issues with SanDisk U3 Smart Cruzer micro 8 GB Drive (BIO708AIYB - SDCZ6-8192RB)

No, it won't. Otherwise, with all due respect, I believe it wouldn't be an issue enough to post here.

Exactly, that's the trouble. I'm not able to access my drive from my USB 2.0 port whatever I do from My Computer, or Open/Explore/whatever from Explorer...

Although I can still do it from my older USB 1.1... but doesn't help and I'm not interested, because doesn't make sense for its ancient speed...

I noticed you said before, when you had security enabled, it showed up with a exclamation mark.  How about now, does the Cruzer show up in any way in the Device Manager, and if it does, is there an error?

Only once, the diaolg box with the blue exclamation mark showed up (after it didn't recognized several times my access password). But now, disabled, the Cruzer doesn't show up in any way. Neither the system tray orange U3 icon in the bottom right corner, nor the above Cruzer red one, nor any other sign at all. Leave alone any error message (as I read in other threads).

I have a very similar problem but related to the 4 GB model. I am still waiting for a solution.

it is probably a power issue with your pci usb card. try using a self powered usb hub.

Yay. Mine has been solved as follows:

After plugging in the cruzer and it lighting up without the U3 platform lighting up. By chance I went to a mapped network drive that I had previously mapped, and lo and behold I saw the Icon there for U3 setup. I clicked on it and it started up the launchpad.

The following time when I plugged the cruzer in it started autonomously.

This may be pretty unique to my situation, but I hope it helps others.

DA

I couldn't understand this last message, if you could somehow rephrase it I'm sure it could help. Only for the sake of it, my SanDisk drive always keeps its light on.

On the other side, I have my doubts on the latter answer around the self power hub, simply because it works in every other machine without it.

I'm hereby adding a few more hints (three at least), for the sake of solving this issue.

Today I changed the cablemodem service (as well as the brand device), and somehow for almost a second when I tried the Cruzer drive out, it worked (the launchpad initiated for a brief moment). I expect to send you my screen attached. Didn't know how.

A U3 Launchpad dialog box, labeled with a red crossed dot, said, "An error has occurred while initializing U3 Launchpad: Drive I: is corrupted or unformatted. Please format the drive, remove and re-insert the U3 smart drive and try again."

While the U3 icon appeared briefly in the system tray, another yellow ballon in the bottom right corner said, "Windows - Delayed Write Failed - Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I: The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Needless is to say, it is a false alarm that appeared before. Tomorrow the drive will work fine in my job PC. But his may be a hint of the Disk Management issue. My first free letter in this machine (my home-own-troubled one), is the G: drive, while at work is the F: drive I think.

In the same way, the other day I read in other thread here, that someone fixed the issue, inserting the drive while pushing the SHIFT key. Then again, it worked for a very brief time. It seems the drivers has something to do.

At least, I know (with the Driver Detective software I recently tried), my Cruzer USB drivers were all right. Other guy wrote there might be a Printer Driver Conflict, but I couldn't establish it.

I´ve been trying to make it work for the last couple of months when I received it as a gift, and avoiding the natural solution of formatting my hard drive.  

Also, I'm adding for this "academic research" the contents of the autorun.inf file between lines which I "see" fine at work in my job PC, as well as a previous query link I wrote in another related forum for that matter.

Although I use everywhere XP+SP2, It's strange that while at work and when trying to update the U3 launchpad software, from 1.4.0 to the latest, the drive reports something like "You're using the latest"... instead of suggesting me the 1.6.0 release I understand was recently released for the troubled Vista users.

[AutoRun]
open=LaunchU3.exe -a
icon=LaunchU3.exe,0

[Definitions]
Launchpad=LaunchPad.exe
Vtype=2

[CopyFiles]
FileNumber=1
File1=LaunchPad.zip

[Update]
URL=http://u3.sandisk.com/download/lp_installer.asp?custom=1.4.0.4&brand=cruzer

[Comment]
brand=cruzer

https://u3user.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/u3user.cfg/php/enduser/myq_idp.php?p_iid=29385&p_created=1206738...=

Besides all the well-intentioned users with different experience and products,

is there any SanDisk employee who might give us any support here?

I have this product for more than 3 months now, and I can't make it work in my home PC !?